all grain, partial boil, 3 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
OK, I could use some help figuring this out. Currently, I do partial mashes with partial boils. I have done mostly 5 gallon batches, but have begun doing more and more 3 gallon batches, which seems to suit me well. I like the ability to use a higher percentage of grain.

I know that the inability to brew with a full boil limits any venture into AG, but I'm thinking I could get away with it for 3 gallon batches and a mash with no sparge. I figure I can get my 2.5 gallons of first runnings to the proper OG without extract and then top off to 3 gallons in the fermenter like I would normally.

However, I really don't know how to start figuring it all out. When I do partial mashes, I use about 1.3 qts/lb for the mash. At this ratio, I could mash something like 6-7 pounds of grain and get 2.5 gallons of first runnings (after accounting for loss to grain absorption).

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that I have no idea how to dial this in. How do I estimate a gravity with no sparge? How do I hit a 1.060 vs a 1.040? Do I adjust the water:grain ratio? Is doing something like this possible or advisable? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

First thing you need to figure out is your mash efficiency when doing no sparging.
Only then can you do the Math.

Do you use software?

It's jut a case of using enough grain.

I personally would look at doing 2 beers from the one mash. A big beer from the first runnings and then a session beer from the second runnings.

That would make it more economical.

First thing you need to figure out is your mash efficiency when doing no sparging.
Only then can you do the Math.

Do you use software?

I use BeerSmith. What is a starting guestimate for no sparge efficiency?

I just read through Palmer's no-sparge calculations in HTB. I made up a spreadsheet and think I have a handle on how this will work.

I'm hoping this will allow me to brew better beer by limiting my reliance on extract. The bigger reason though is that I really want a DIY project to convert a cooler into a mash tun! :D

I just did my first AG. It was a 3.5 gallon batch. I had 9.4 lbs of grain and mashed with about 3 gallons. Then sparged with about 3 and 1/3 gallons. I got about 4.3 gallons in my 5 gallon kettle. I was able to avoid a boil over with the help of FermCapS. I ended up with 69% eff due to LBHS crush.

Maybe consider doing a single sparge and increasing your boil volume a little bit, but use FermCapS to avoid the dreaded boil over.

Back