Quick Bottling without Secondary and a Cold Crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlyingSparge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm bottling an easy batch as a special favor for a buddy. Don't have time to put it through a secondary. But looking to get maximum clarity and avoid bottle bombs. I usually A/G & keg so any feedback would be appreciated. Recipe and initial plan:

Batch Size: 5 gal
5.5# Light DME
0.25# C60
1oz Liberty Hops @60min
2.5 oz Raspberry Extract at bottling
Safale US-05

Aerate well, 5 days in primary @73ºF, check gravity. Then, optionally moving into fridge for a 2-day cold crash if gravity's there but beer tastes yeasty. After 2 days, immediately rack to bottling bucket w/5oz dissolved corn sugar & flavor extract then into bottles. Finally, 2 wks to carb at room temp.

Unsure about the cold crash. Considering I've never attempted, afraid cooling the primary to 40ºF for 2 days then back up to room temp once it's bottled, might negatively affect flavor. Also concerned cold crash could cause excessive settling and affect carbonation. A lot will have to be played by ear. But if anyone has tried something similar would love your insight.

Thanks,
TheFlyingSparge

if it's at gravity of course you can bottle but it will take closer to 3-4 weeks if its still somewhat cloudy for all of the yeast to settle into a nice cake at the bottom of the bottle (from my experience when bottling after only ~2 weeks).

You could also just siphon while cold at that location if there's room.

I'm bottling an easy batch as a special favor for a buddy. Don't have time to put it through a secondary. But looking to get maximum clarity and avoid bottle bombs. I usually A/G & keg so any feedback would be appreciated. Recipe and initial plan:

Batch Size: 5 gal
5.5# Light DME
0.25# C60
1oz Liberty Hops @60min
2.5 oz Raspberry Extract at bottling
Safale US-05

Aerate well, 5 days in primary @73ºF, check gravity. Then, optionally moving into fridge for a 2-day cold crash if gravity's there but beer tastes yeasty. After 2 days, immediately rack to bottling bucket w/5oz dissolved corn sugar & flavor extract then into bottles. Finally, 2 wks to carb at room temp.

Unsure about the cold crash. Considering I've never attempted, afraid cooling the primary to 40ºF for 2 days then back up to room temp once it's bottled, might negatively affect flavor. Also concerned cold crash could cause excessive settling and affect carbonation. A lot will have to be played by ear. But if anyone has tried something similar would love your insight.

Thanks,
TheFlyingSparge

In addition to what lmg95 mentioned, fermenting at 73F is at the high end of S-05 range for temperature. Do you have the means to keep it right at 73F or is your plan to put the fermenter at 73F and allow it to get up to whatever temp it happens to get to?

Either way, you might be dealing with more esters with this high of a fermentation temperature meaning this beer would benefit from an extended conditioning period. I think some temperature control would be good here, even if it means that it takes longer for that beer to reach FG.

Hey Flysparge. I found your post because I have the same question!

Question #1 - The temp lowering and then raising should not have a real impact; intial ferm temp will obviously. Although, I don't think conditioning will reduce the ester levels once they are there. Of course, conditioning allows residual yeast to consume some off-flavor compounds in the beer, but not esters.

Question #2 - will the cold crash cause too many yeast cells to fall out of suspension, causing the beer to be under-carbonated? I'm wondering the same thing! I'm using Wyeast 1007 and flocculation is pretty low. I'm trying to clean it up fast but also need to bottle.

Good Luck FlySparge! Let me know if you find anything out.

You can cold crash a beer for weeks, and still have enough yeast for carbonation. A yeast strain like 1007 will not flocculate well, so you'll definitely have enough for carbonation.

Back