Caramel Vienna vs Vienna malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
I want to brew a recipe that calls for Vienna Malt but all my LHBS carries is Caramel Vienna. Are these two interchangeable at all? What difference is this gonna make to the recipe in terms of taste and colour?

I think that caramel vienna must be "cara vienna" which is a light crystal malt, similar to crystal 40 L. Vienna malt is a base malt, like 2-row malt. They aren't even close to the same thing.

If you can't find Vienna malt (and every homebrewstore should have Vienna malt), you might be able to use Munich malt instead. What is the recipe? We can help you find substitutions.
'

i was going to do a partial mash of Bier Muncher's Centennial Blonde:

ngredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

My choice of grains is really limited however. My LHBS carries 2 row, CaraPils, CaraMunich, and a Caramel 40.

I was going to up the Carapils use a little less of the 40 to acccount for the 10 and Vienna.

No Vienna malt, or Munich malt? Those are pretty standard malts.

I wouldn't use any cara malt as a sub- better to sub 2-row or maris otter malt for the Vienna rather than any more crystal malt.

ya, my lhbs is really limited. it isn't even that local as it is 150 km away. He makes wine and sells a little homebrewing equipment on the side because he loves it but he told me last time i was in there are only 8 homebrewers who buy beer ingredients from him.

I'll just add more 2 row. thanks yooper

Is there much of a difference between Vienna and Munich Light?

They seem to look and smell the same.

Check out the brew wiki for better info but yes there is a difference between Vienna and Munich light. Vienna is more of a toasty, biscuit, bready flavor; Munich is bready but sweeter and darker. Think about bread; let’s say Italian bread and pumpernickel as an example. They’re both bread and therefore “bready” but the flavor characterizes are far different. I know it’s not a great example but it’s how I differentiate the toasted malt in my head.

I would say for this recipe you’d be better of substituting the Vienna with a Victory or Biscuit malt instead of the Munich.

Here’s that wiki info
Vienna
Vienna malt - Home Brewing Wiki

Munich
Munich Malt - Home Brewing Wiki

Back