Priming Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs2003

Reaction score
Ok, I will be fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy with a blow off tube. First off, since I'm using a 5 gallon carboy, should the blow off tube be big enough to fit in the carboy itself? Because right now I have a cork with 3/8" tube fit through that...which do you reccomend? Also, as far as when I do bottle, and mix up the priming solution...how do you reccomend I mix that into the wort? I don't have a bottling bucket, but I do have another carboy. Can I just mix it into the wort and stir it gently...or should I put it into another carboy, siphon the beer into that, then bottle? Thanks for any advice on this.

First off im not sure about the cork. I use a rubber stopper with the tube through that. As far as the bottling bucket its gonna be a major PITA to put in bottles without one. But to answer your ? i guess you could boil 2 cups of water and the priming solution and put it on the bottom of the carboy then siphon the wort into that carboy on top of the solution you made

Sorry to argue semantics, but after you add the yeast and it has fermented it is no longer wort, it be beer! You should really invest in a bottling bucket with a spigot, and also a bottle filler. It will make your life sooo much easier. The method described above, to boil up 2 cups of water with the priming sugar, add it to the empty bottling bucket, after cooling it of course, and then racking the beer on top of it is correct and will mix it up sufficiently. Just be sure to not splash the beer when you transfer it by keeping the transfer hose under the level of rising beer.

John

(1) 5gal bucket at hardware store= $4.00
(1) spigot = $3.50
(1) spring-tipped bottle filler = $3.75
(1) 2" length of tubing to attach spigot to filler = pennies
Not making a mess in SWMBO kitchen = priceless :rockin:

Palmer states you can gently add the priming solution to the primary, stir then wait 30 min before bottling. You have a siphon for bottling?

i just ordered the fermtech auto siphon, so yes. so this is my setup right now, let me know what you think (im a college student, so tight on funds, basic setup)
-5 gallon glass carboy fermenter
-1" blow off tube
i will transfer the beer from that into another 5 gallon glass carboy, and will transfer that with the auto siphon into my bottles

Back