First time kegging question about force carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got a new keg system today and decided to try it out on some rootbeer. I have never kegged before so I am excited and scared! I have a couple questions:

When you refer to force carbing rootbeer at 30-40 for a couple days, (and this is gonna sound dumb) does this mean you turn up the gas to 30-40 and then just leave it on for a couple days?

Here is what I did today, right or wrong, God help me, it's done.. I made two gallons of rootbeer, put in the corny keg, turned on the gas up to 30psi, and rolled the keg around like mad for about 5 minutes.. Now am I supposed ot turn off the gas or leave it on?

thanks in advance
:fro:

You want to leave the gas on- as the co2 is absorbed into the root beer, you want to give it more. If you turn the gas off, the soda will go flat.

I like my soda at between 30-40 psi, to keep it carbed well. Like the other poster said, you'll need quite a bit of line to balance that, unless you simply turn off the gas, and pull the release valve and dispense the soda at a very low psi (just enough to push it out) and then turn it back up so it doesn't go flat. It's easier to buy some cheap line (I got it for about $.10/foot from McMaster Carr) and use that strictly for rootbeer. Once you use some kegs or lines for root beer, you'll NEVER get the smell and taste out. I have a dedicated "root beer" line, even though I rarely make it.

You want to leave the gas on- as the co2 is absorbed into the root beer, you want to give it more. If you turn the gas off, the soda will go flat.

I like my soda at between 30-40 psi, to keep it carbed well. Like the other poster said, you'll need quite a bit of line to balance that, unless you simply turn off the gas, and pull the release valve and dispense the soda at a very low psi (just enough to push it out) and then turn it back up so it doesn't go flat. It's easier to buy some cheap line (I got it for about $.10/foot from McMaster Carr) and use that strictly for rootbeer. Once you use some kegs or lines for root beer, you'll NEVER get the smell and taste out. I have a dedicated "root beer" line, even though I rarely make it.

Hey Yooper-

I searched McMAster and the cheapest hose I can find is .54 per foot.. It's part # 53955K14... Is this what you ordered?
McMaster-Carr

EDIT: Yoop, never mind! I found the thread where you got the original mcmaster # from conpewter.
Part # 5181K42 3/16" ID - 5/16" OD LLDPE (Polyethylene tubing) $0.15 - 50 ft min

Back