Am I missing anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injendsm

Reaction score
So I'll finally be picking up my homebrewing equipment very soon and I want to be sure I have everything I need when I make the order. Here's my list so far:

Midwest Intermediate Kit
2 20qt brew pots
2 cases of 22oz bottles
Star San
Big Ben Pale Ale Recipe Kit
Big River Brown Ale Recipe Kit

Am I missing anything?

Well, I had to go look up what comes in a Midwestern Intermediate Kit but it looks like you are good to go unless you plan to do a mini-mash. I didn't see the nylon or muslin grain bag listed. Might as well buy one now. They are cheap and even if you start off doing all extract I'm betting you will move on to mini-mash before long. :)

John

most extract kits come with a muslin bag if you buy them through midwest or austin

AFAIK the Midwest kit doesn't come with a thermometer. I used a candy thermometer first time around. A wine thief and a bottle tree are nice additions.

I bought this kit and had to buy a few additional items. Although it comes with the hydrometer, it doesn't come with a wine thief. I also bought a plastic stiring spoon/paddle.

From Beer Making and Home Brewing Supplies | MoreBeer

I picked up a 8 gallon brew kettle, wort chiller, thermometer, bottle tree, jet bottle washer and bottlecaps. Good thing about morebeer is that shipping on alot of things are free if your order is $59 or more. Not all things but, save a buck where you can.

Brewing becomes addicting and you don't want to rush it. I eventually picked up 3 more carboys and a 2nd bottling bucket.

AFAIK the Midwest kit doesn't come with a thermometer. I used a candy thermometer first time around. A wine thief and a bottle tree are nice additions.

What's the bottle tree for? There isn't much of a description for it on Midwest's site but I'm guessing it helps speed up the drying process for the bottles after they're washed.

Ah...they r pricy. I'm not sure if I would do a split boil for my first brew. Just added complication. I would probably settle for a partial boil w/ top-off. Also if 2 pots for PM I would think you would want on bigger so u can mash in one, sparge in a second, then dump the mash into the sparge increasing the volume. I guess you could still do a partial though. Have u checked ebay. I saw a SS 10g not to long ago for something around $50. Just my 2 cents.

Ah...they r pricy. I'm not sure if I would do a split boil for my first brew. Just added complication. I would probably settle for a partial boil w/ top-off. Also if 2 pots for PM I would think you would want on bigger so u can mash in one, sparge in a second, then dump the mash into the sparge increasing the volume. I guess you could still do a partial though. Have u checked ebay. I saw a SS 10g not to long ago for something around $50. Just my 2 cents.

I haven't checked ebay yet but I guess it would be a good idea because $50 is definitely not bad for that size pot.

Back