Pitch new yeast at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spin02

Reaction score
I will be bottling my Belgian Honey ale this weekend. It was in the primary for one month, then two months in a secondary. The OG was 1.080 and SG, when I transferred to the secondary, was 1.016.

Should I pitch new yeast when I bottle, or is it possible there’s enough yeast still in suspension to carbonate?

Also, should I adjust the amount of priming sugar, if I pitch new yeast?

Thanks!!

You should not need more yeast. people here make barley wine over 6 months and it carbs up without repitching.

and if you did repitch it wouldn't affect the priming sugar amount.

Sprinkling in a few grams of dry yeast as you rack it to the bottling bucket will insure it carbonates in a more timely manor. I think it's a good idea.

I think I will try that. Probably do half a pack of s-04 or t-58, something like that?

I do it for all my lagers. T-58 is really good for bottle conditioning. 2 grams is all you really need. I just basically pepper it over the beer. It only leaves a haze on the bottom of the bottle and it sticks there. Nottingham is my second choice for the same reason. The strain has no impact on the flavor.

You shouldn't really need to pitch new yeast. I will just add that Belgian trappist breweries pitch fresh yeast at bottling time. Their theory (as I gathered from the Brew Like a Monk book) is that the yeast from fermentation is tired and they feel they get better/faster carbonation from the fresh yeast. Also, sometimes if they are conditioning their beer colder than usual they add a lager yeast at bottling. Just a little info that I thought was interesting when I read it, but I think you're fine either way.

Back