Exploding Yeast Vials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
For all you white labs users out there, does anyone else have a good strategery;) for opening the vials. In several instances now I've had them spray a good amount of yeast when opening the vial. You have to shake it up to get it un-stuck from the bottom, but then it's like a geyser when you open it. I'm more concerned from contamination from my hands and the outside of the vial than anything else. What's a good procedure beyond having the vial sit in sanitizer before opening?

shake it up, then hold it upright and tap gently on the top of the cap for about 20 seconds. i swear this works. Engineers, explain!

I've been cracking the seal on them when still cold to release pressure; tighten cap again; shake it up; then open the cap slightly again and tossing a sanitized paper towel over them while they warm up.

Problem seems to be as they're warming up they're building pressure on us.

I use wlp yeast and only 1 has done this to me. I have also just pitched the yeast in w/ out shaking it up and its worked just the same. Let it warm up to room temp and just dump it in.

Monk said:
shake it up, then hold it upright and tap gently on the top of the cap for about 20 seconds. i swear this works. Engineers, explain!

I'm no engineer, but here's how the principal works. your essentially tapping mostly all the air bubbles out of the solution. This same principal works for overcarbonated Corny kegs. Simpy pull on the pressure release valve on the top of the keg, and then use a hammer or rubber mallet and tap the side of the corny.

My experience is that it works on force carbonated corny's. No experience with a keg that has been conditioned with priming sugar.

I just had this happen...need advice.

I pitched about half a vial of WLP300 hefeweisen yeast into approximately 6 gallons of wort. I am planning on trying to find a vial this afternoon to pitch. Do I absolutely need the second vial?

Thanks.

Underpitching yeast strains it and tends to produce unwanted elements such as excess esters and diacetyls. That being said, you'll still get beer, and it's probably still drinkable - just not what was originally intended.

You would have been better off making a starter. Use Mr. Malty to calculate the ideal pitch rate.

Roger on the starter. I typically make a starter but had an opportunity to brew and no likely date in the near future (which meant no time for a starter). I learned my lesson.

I ended up pitching a smackpak about 5-6 hours later. This morning it was going crazy? I am glad for the blowoff tube rather than an airlock.

My major concern was having stressed yeast due to the significant underpitch. I was worried before the explosion without the starter. Hopefully all is well with the second pitch.

I've been cracking the seal on them when still cold to release pressure; tighten cap again; shake it up; then open the cap slightly again and tossing a sanitized paper towel over them while they warm up.

Problem seems to be as they're warming up they're building pressure on us.

+1 on above. I open it up slowly first then reclose shake and open again.

Back