Transporting a fermenter after pitching.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groceryboy

Reaction score
Some brew friends and I wanted to get a little brew on this Saturday. There are several that want to brew including myself. We picked a central location which leads me to the question I have.

Is transporting a fermenter of beer within a couple of hours after pitching the yeast harmful?

I had planned on sealing it up tight and would wait till I got home before putting in the airlock. It would also be in a air conditioned cab and covered to avoid the light. It would be in the car for no more than an hour, and a lot of that will be highway driving.

Thanks in advance.

No harm. THe beer is young enough that some additional aeration won't hurt.

If fermentation has started, your headspace will be CO2 and sloshing that around a bit won't hurt.

Just try to avoid sudsing the beer.

No problem. At the last Hop Madness, most everyone's fermenters were chugging in the morning before the drive home.

I had planned on sealing it up tight and would wait till I got home before putting in the airlock.

You may want to burp your baby before leaving the brew site... and maybe once more half way home. It depends on how long after pitching you leave. I would even go as far as to suggest you at least bring an airlock and use it if fermentation is really active.

Latest posts

Back