Wheat IPA/Hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're sort of antithetical styles, I mean the hefeweizen is a malty beer with almost all of its character derived from the amazing german wheat beer yeasts, flavoring/aroma hops are minimal to non-existent, and always noble hops. The best IPAs are dry with no yeast character at all, and driven by a mild malt character with HUGE American hop character.

If you absolutely had to do it, I'd maybe use slightly-less-than-hef grainbill, say 60-40 or 70-30 of pale or pils and wheat malt for the grist and shoot for the low-mid end of the IPA gravity range (1.055-1.065). Then, I'd probably use two hops, one american citrus and one classic noble (two that go well together) in a hopburst with no bittering addition to hit around 25 IBU. Dry hop as necessary. Definitely use a clean american wheat yeast- a classic hef yeast is going to clash with literally everything in this recipe. Dry hop as needed.

I've done it a few times and it is hit and miss. When it works, it works great. When not, it's funky. I have not done it enough yet to figure out what I did when it worked well and what I did when I screwed the pooch.

Definitely go with WLP 320 (or equivalent). Bitter with a half oz of warrior or vanguard. 10, 5 and 1 min additions with a half oz each of Citra and Amarillo (or other hops in this flavor range - avoid anything that is described as 'dank' or 'earthy-funky'). Maybe a bonus ounce of Sorachi Ace mixed in there somewhere depending on how much you want this to taste like a hop bomb.

I have used DME for mine in the past. Some have a higher percentage of wheat than others. If you are planning on going extract, then do as Daksin indicated and aim for one that has a lower percentage of wheat.

And of course use a blow off tube. If you are going for IPA grade starting gravity, you will have a crazy fermentation. Session grade wheat fills my carboy, starting at 1060 or 1065 will certainly blow the top off of an airlock (figuratively speaking). Or use foam control.

I did this one recently and it turned out great. I would call it a wheat IPA rather than a hefeweizen IPA. "Hefeweizen" to me implies a more yeast driven flavor.

I came up with this trying to clone Magic Hat's Encore. I didn't clone it but it's still a nice beer.

6 gallon batch

6.5# 2 row
6.5# wheat
.75# Caravienna

14g Apollo 60m
14g each Amarillo & Simcoe 15m
14g each Amarillo & Simcoe Flameout
28g each Amarillo & Simcoe Dry hop

yeast US-05
mash @ 151 for 60 min
60 min boil

1.060 OG, 49 IBUs, & 6.3% ABV according to BrewPal.

This is an all-grain recipe so mash, sparge, collect enough wort for a full boil, start your boil, etc.

Were you looking for an extract recipe?

Yeah I did an extract batch since I haven't purchased a mash setup yet but thanks anyway. I went with light malt dme and mutton wheat. It is fermenting like crazy but clearing up nicely.

Okay, the thing with converting wheat recipes is that wheat dme is part wheat (I've read 40%) and part barley malt so you may not have needed the light dme. It will just be a little less "wheaty", though and shouldn't pose any flavor issues. let me know how it goes.

Back