W-34/70, S-23 or Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
My next batch I think I'm going to do a light lager... I started making the recipe with an awesome name and then built it from there. A lawnmower beer, so to speak. If I had the choice between S-23, W-34/70, or Nottingham to lager, which would I use? I agree that liquid yeast turns out a slightly better batch but I'm avoiding them this time.

I'm thinking that S-23 is out, I hear it gets pretty fruity if you're not eplicitely keeping it below 48-50 F. I might try the Nottingham as some people have lagered with it.

EDIT: Or would S-05 be another option? Another ale yeast but low diacetyel I hear and can ferment into the 50s.

Thanks in advance

If you can't get your temps down for true lager temps, I'd go with Wyeast: 2112 | California Lager. I know you don't want to do liquid, but I think you'll like the results.

Let's see your awesome recipe and the style you are trying to make. Then tell me about what temperature ranges you can ferment at. After that it will be possible to offer yeast strain advice.

Haha, I don't have a fantastic recipe, it's the name that hit me, Ten Thousand Lakes Lager, used to live in MN and still a Twins fan.

Quite basic, I was going to use a 2:1 ratio of 6 row and corn (not the flaked stuff, the real cracked stuff from the feed store), with maybe a lil Caramel or Honey Malt. I'm not sure what kind of hops yet, maybe Mt. Hoods and a tiny bit of Palisades (have it around) for aroma near the end. Just keeping it as a lawnmower lager as my whole family is either a pilsner or BMC drinker. I can use a cooler to get the temps down, Notty goes dormant at 46-48 F, so I could probably hold it at 50 or so and do a high pitch rate.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this time I'm trying to avoid liquid yeast, purely because I'm trying to see how cheap of a lawnmower lager I can make and have it decent.

I did an O-fest last year with W-34/70 and it turned out great. Granted, I pitched 4 packs into 10.5 gallons at 43 degrees, and let it rise up to 49 and held there until I did the the D-rest.

The more I read about lager yeast, the more I understand that it's actually *quite* different than ale yeast, i.e. it actually breaks down some sugars that ale yeasts cannot (trying and failing to find the link on this). So if you want a crisp, clean lager, something similar to what you get out of commercial beer, stick with lager yeast. If you just want a lawnmower beer approaching "blond ale" style, then Notty, fermented in the mid-high 50's will be very clean.

Haha, I don't have a fantastic recipe, it's the name that hit me, Ten Thousand Lakes Lager, used to live in MN and still a Twins fan.

Quite basic, I was going to use a 2:1 ratio of 6 row and corn (not the flaked stuff, the real cracked stuff from the feed store), with maybe a lil Caramel or Honey Malt. I'm not sure what kind of hops yet, maybe Mt. Hoods and a tiny bit of Palisades (have it around) for aroma near the end. Just keeping it as a lawnmower lager as my whole family is either a pilsner or BMC drinker. I can use a cooler to get the temps down, Notty goes dormant at 46-48 F, so I could probably hold it at 50 or so and do a high pitch rate.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this time I'm trying to avoid liquid yeast, purely because I'm trying to see how cheap of a lawnmower lager I can make and have it decent.

IMO, bad idea to use feed store corn. Could be treated with something and likely oily. Skip any cara malts if you want to keep it light. S-23 and Notty are bad choices, IMO. Neither is all that clean, especially the s-23. If you can ferment at 50, use a real lager yeast. 34/70 would work well for that style.

Latest posts

Back