Internet life and tough guys -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomHanx

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else here is apart of any other forums or variations of a forum (any sort of community of only online interaction), but just ranting about the number of dbags I've come across lately.

I'm on a workout forum that I really used to enjoy, joined years ago. First forum I ever joined actually and only other besides this. There is a lot more than usual amount of just vile trash talking, people disagree with what you say and tell you to eff off and hang yourself and etc. Had people telling me off this morning on Deadspin as well.

I know I'm the common denominator in both situations but I don't think I'm that annoying. I don't bash other people online or respond in kind to other peoples bashing of me. Do I really need to eff off or are people just a little too wrapped up in there "online identity's"?

Its easy to be a tough guy behind a computer screen.

If you've ever played a multiplayer game on xbox live or ps3 or a computer, you've undoubtedly heard all of the trash talking, racism, and super tough guy talk when anyone criticizes. Those types of people are also the ones who will talk the most and post the most in forums. The silent majority are probably not jerks but just choose not to say anything because they don't want some *****ey-mcgee dude to jump all over them.

Not sure if anyone else here is apart of any other forums or variations of a forum (any sort of community of only online interaction), but just ranting about the number of dbags I've come across lately.

I'm on a workout forum that I really used to enjoy, joined years ago. First forum I ever joined actually and only other besides this. There is a lot more than usual amount of just vile trash talking, people disagree with what you say and tell you to eff off and hang yourself and etc. Had people telling me off this morning on Deadspin as well.

I know I'm the common denominator in both situations but I don't think I'm that annoying. I don't bash other people online or respond in kind to other peoples bashing of me. Do I really need to eff off or are people just a little too wrapped up in there "online identity's"?

I hear ya. I'm on some bodybuilding forums also. Most of the people spitting out garbage probably dont lift or haven't lifted in forever. Just like some guys say they compete but will never show a pic for "security" reasons they say. Alot of them that online identity is who they think they are and the only time they can feel like a bad arse

Maybe they are actually all one person...ever see catfish? one lady was responsible for like 15 different online 'people'.

Haha, this is interesting because I seem to know a few trolls who constantly pop up on other forums. For a while I was beginning to think it was the same person; just dead set on annoying the hell out everyone. I mean, don't you find it hard to believe that so many people are that obnoxious? Oh wait... ...nevermind...

Get a life you half wit! Don't you have anything better to do than whine like a baby over every little thing? It's people like you that caused the downfall of the Roman empire! If it were up to me, you'd be strung up by the naughty bits so that people can kick you in the noggin and...........Oh, I don't know why they do it. They probably just need a life, or get laid or something?

Maybe they should just try home brewing. :mug:

Every troll is an exercise to help you to grow.

You get points for every anus you respond to with an intelligent unemotional response.

You get an extra life for completely ignoring the troll, no matter how personal the taunt. It's hard, and you need to learn to swallow the bitter pill of pride, but you win in the end.

This game can be practiced at home with the wife.

Anyone can act tough behind the internet...its tough not to respond in kind to some of those people...but I find its best to ignore them. I figure it probably annoys them more if you do this than respond.

Also, I think many of them are young. Or they just have nothing better to do. I mean, when some guy criticizes you for asking a question on an opinion forum his life must be pretty boring

Every troll is an exercise to help you to grow.

You get points for every anus you respond to with an intelligent unemotional response.

You get an extra life for completely ignoring the troll, no matter how personal the taunt. It's hard, and you need to learn to swallow the bitter pill of pride, but you win in the end.

This game can be practiced at home with the wife.

AMEN brother

Sometimes I troll. I don't do it on here, but on another forum since 2004 I have over 60K posts. Most of them were me trying to get a reaction. If I'm bored it's fun. I would always let on (after the fact) that I was trolling, but some people are just angry in general. Typically the angry people are the ones that just like to be jerks without reason.

Anyone can act tough behind the internet...its tough not to respond in kind to some of those people...but I find its best to ignore them. I figure it probably annoys them more if you do this than respond.

Also, I think many of them are young. Or they just have nothing better to do. I mean, when some guy criticizes you for asking a question on an opinion forum his life must be pretty boring

Don't fool yourself into thinking that it doesn't happen here either.

Every forum has it's share of assh*les who think they are authorities on every subject and that their way is the ONLY way to do something.

Like it was said...know them for who they are and move along with your life.

I am on a softball forum, same deal. lots of trash talk. I quit logging in as often late last year as listening to all the drama almost drove me to quit playing.

I'm on a forum for just about everything, it seems, and there's always a strong contingent representing the 'unneccesary meanness' corner. This site is has the absolute least rude/ tough/ mean people and as such is my most frequented. This, and the motorcycle forum. I've noticed- DIY type sites tend to have more helpful and fewer jerk members than the "I bought it" crowd. When I get the urge to call someone out for being inconsiderate I usually just let it go. I don't care to get into mindless arguments with someone in Kansas for the next five days. (nothing against Kansans) Kyle

InternetToughGuy.jpg

maybe this one's better:
internet_tough_guys.jpg

Its easy to be a tough guy behind a computer screen.

I don't know about that. I wake up every morning, do a SEAL basic training course regime.

I then do it again so that I can be super strong and mentally prepared for the internet.

After that I stand in the mirror and insult myself till I cry. I know real tough guys don't cry, but I'm pretty good.

I then sit down, log in, and go picking fights with people I don't know.

All this takes a few hours daily. It's not easy, so I disagree with your assessment.

Back