How many cells do you think I have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
Not brain cells... I guarantee the yeast have the majority vote there.

I'm making a lager yeast starter, and since I am going to be fermenting this at the very bottom of its tolerance I want to make sure I have plenty of cells. This is what I've done:

I made a 2 liter starter with a nicely viable wyeast smack pack. I let it ferment out over 2 days, crashed, decanted the spent wort, and then topped it back up to 2 liters of fresh. Did this again, decant, refill, and its spinning away in my kitchen now. Ill be brewing with it on Friday, and before then I will crash, decant, and refill to 1 liter which I will pitch at high krausen

So to rephrase, 6 liters of starters, and a final liter to keep the yeast excited. How many cells do I have? Is it the same as if I made one 6 liter starter? Is there a reason why this shouldn't be done? Tell me what you think.

You can get a base estimate of cell count if you invest in some basic tools...You'll need to get a hemocytometer. They are used to count red blood cells. If you count the cells per square on the grid under your microscope you can make a rough estimate.

Good luck.

Back