1314 Strong Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Edinburgh
Yeast Starter
1 Gal 1.045
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9-10 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Complex, great maltiness, dark carmel, burned sugars, stone fruit, cherry pit, molass
% LBs OZs Type of grain
91% 11 12 British Pale (Maris Otter)
5% 0 10 American Crystal 90L (Use anything from C80-C120
3% 0 6 Victory Malt
1% 0 3 Carafa II
Total Grist Weight 12 lbs 15 oz

.9 oz. German Tradition 5.3AAU @ 90 mins (any non-assertive hop will do, english varieties, Willamette, etc.)

Used 1 Whirlfloc Tablet.

Mash Schedule:
155 - 60 mins
158 - 30 mins
169 mashout 15 mins

This is a very simple recipe & could be even simpler, great Strong Scotch Ales are about the process. I Boiled down the first 1-1.25 gallons of runnings to less than 1 quart. The mash schedule is next in importance. I mashed at 155, but I think 154 might be a little better. I believe it's very important to do the 158/159 second mash for 30 mins to get those few long chain sugars you're gonna get. Next is the fact that I boiled for 90 mins. These 3 important processes are key to making a top shelf version of this brew... well that and obviously using the correct yeast.

It's simple and well worth the little extra effort. I got a 2nd place in category 9 in a competition this fall.

Miscelaneous notes: I used bottled kentwood drinking water, a profile for this water is online if interested. The reason for such a long primary fermentation was purely accidental as I couldn't get around to bottling this brew. Having said that I'd leave it in primary for 3-6 weeks and bottle/keg from there as this is suppose to be a very clean malty brew and those yeast are only going to be cleaning up during that time.

A video of the making of this brew is available here: http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg318/mvktr2/?action=view&current=1314ThemakingofaStrongScotchAle.mp4

My label for this brew:
1314StrongScotchAlelabel.jpg

Schlante,
Phillip

you mention that you boil down the first 1 gallon of runnings to 1 quart, did you add that back to the mash or did you boil it down and then continue sparging the rest of the mash?

you mention that you boil down the first 1 gallon of runnings to 1 quart, did you add that back to the mash or did you boil it down and then continue sparging the rest of the mash?

I added it to the boil, about midway through.

Back