Stone Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had never tried it before an our supermarket had it (!) so how could I resist??

Man, this is just the most perfect session beer I've ever had - just perfect.

I understand this is served at Padre games?!?!?! You folks in SD have it made!!

It's a good one, all right! Wait until you try Stone Ruination, though. It's the the creme de la creme of great beers. If you like hops, that is.

Stone has to be one of the best all-around breweries there is. They make great beers, all styles that I've tried. Another brewery that only makes great beers is Bell's. You can pick up a Stone beer, and it'll be great. The same is true of Bell's, too.

I had Stone Pale Ale and Arrogant Bastard on tap only once. But I remember loving it!

Did have that one Yooper and it is outstanding. I know Stone for their sorta big beers (all great) so when I came across something like the PA that's more 'pedestrian' I was surprised. But then again not, when trying it.

Now I'm curious to know how the Levitation compares to the PA...?

Edited to get the spelling right! Oh, Bell's 2-Hearted: excellent. Impossible to find in NYC tho'... :-(

I love Stone IPA, but I just can't pay $9.99 for a session beer (the Pale Ale). I actually haven't tried it yet - maybe I should.

It's a good one, all right! Wait until you try Stone Ruination, though. It's the the creme de la creme of great beers. If you like hops, that is.

There are soooo many better IPAs and even DIPAs out there. Ruination is great for what it is, but you need a good stockpile of the others out here.

IPAs:
Alesmith IPA
Ballast Point Sculpin
Green Flash West Coast
Russian River IPA (only on tap, I think)
Duet and Nelson IPAs from Alpine Brewing
Bear Republic Racer 5
Things like Marin White Knuckle, Ballast Point Big Eye, Port Wipe Out all compare.

Double IPAs:
Pliny the Elder (probably the most obvious)
Ballast Point Dorado
Green Flash IIPA
Alpine Pure Hoppiness and Exponential Hoppiness
RR Blind Pig
Port Hop 15

The fact is that Stone is great. They've pioneered the IPA scene out here (well, really Russian River has, but with Stone being so massive, they've really done nothing but help) and they deserve a lot of credit for making great beer. But there's a lot out there that can stand up to it, no problem.

Great list, RR is outstanding stuff, and I wasn't aware it was also in SD. Impressive... :mug:

If you know of a local shop that'll ship please let me (us) know!

OK, I'm having another one right now... what can you possibly fault about this beer? So great on a hop/malt level... it has it all.

OK, I'm having another one right now... what can you possibly fault about this beer? So great on a hop/malt level... it has it all.

I didn't say it had faults. I personally like my IPAs a little on the dry side, and I also dont like that much straight bitterness. I guess I like different hops profiles more.

Great list, RR is outstanding stuff, and I wasn't aware it was also in SD. Impressive... :mug:

If you know of a local shop that'll ship please let me (us) know!

Oh, it isn't. I mean Blind Pig started in Temecula, which is close and then Vinnie moved to the Russian River valley, hence the name. I was just spouting off good West Coast examples. This is all every day stuff in our bars though, with certain ones being limited releases.

I hear ya... It is certainly subjective. I'm on my 2nd tonight (after quite a few at some Brooklyn pubs that had a kick-ass selection of stuff) and this beer is to me, what I smell taste in my mind when I'm doing my hop additions to my wort, it has that taste that I smell at moments like that.

Having some more of these again and still can't help but think this is the best session beer on earth. Here's a recipe I found:

OG: 1.057 (75% eff.) SRM: 7.5 IBU: 61.2

Grain:
9.5 lb. American pale malt (2-row)
6 oz. 60L crystal malt
5 oz. 40L crystal malt
8 oz. Cara-Pils malt

Hops: (all hops are whole hops)
1 oz. Magnum @ 14% 90 minutes
.5 oz. Ahtanum @ 6% 20 minutes
1 oz. Ahtanum @ 6% knockout

Yeast:
White Labs WLP005, WLP001, Wyeast 1028, 1275, 1335 or 1056.

Single infusion mash @ 150, mash out @ 168 is recommended.
Boil 90 minutes.
Ferment @ 68 dF, then secondary for 1 week @ 68 dF. Cold condtion @ 35-45 dF for 2 weeks, then package.

There is something very bready/biscuity about the body/flavor of this beer that makes me think there might be something else in there... if anyone has any thoughts/info, please share! :mug:

Hmmm interesting...

I am a relative IPA noob (but a hop head) and Stone thus far tops my list. (Its a regular at my house) Ruination is good, but costly (so the IPA has to do)
DFH 60 didnt cut it like Stone IPA
Their Aprihop was 'interesting' (I still have 3 of a 4 pack left)
and SN Torpedo was kind of a disappointment with all of the great things I heard about it.

I really need to try some others, but Im almost glad I havent. The Stone IPA is readily available at my local grocery store.
-Me

Grain:
9.5 lb. American pale malt (2-row)
6 oz. 60L crystal malt
5 oz. 40L crystal malt
8 oz. Cara-Pils malt

The recipe in BYO as given by Stone is actually a blend of 60L and 80L and no cara-pils. But I completely agree, there is a bready, toasty quality to it that makes me think there is something else in there. Maybe a bit of Victory. I'm definitely going to have to try making it some day. I love the aroma the Anthem hops give off.

I'm having a Stone Pale Ale for the first time tonight, actually drinking my first as I type. This is one excellent brew, It actually reminds a lot of their 2009 Old Guardian Barleywine, there are some very similar tastes in there. It's a very well rounded beer, unique for a Pale Ale IMO.:mug:

definitely not a fan of stone pale. if you want a sessionable, hoppy beer, 21a's bitter american is much better. port brewing's palapa pale is pretty damn good too but you'll only find that at the brewpubs I think. and I hate saying it but I'm really not into their IPA or ruination. Just had port brewing mongo today, their hop suey is better than ruination, and IMO Ballast's dorado, big eye, and sculpin are all better than stone's stuff.

once you get into their bigger beers I get more excited about stone. old guardian, their RIS, and Arrogant bastard are all top-notch IMO.

to be honest though, 'west-coast' style beers need to spread to other places. I feel like such a tool when I say beers like stone's are boring, but truthfully there are much tastier, IMO, examples to be found in san diego alone.

levitation! that is a great beer....

I understand not on the super hop side but just a good, malty, and hoppy beer. It has a lot of flavor for it being so low abv... you have to try it.

sublimely self righteous is my fav so far!

haven't tried any of thier darker brews though, got to see if i can get my hands on those!

I agree with YOOPER, I haven't had a bad beer from either brewery, Stone, and Bells are amazing...

Back