Cooler Sight Glass and Thermometer Fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
well i was going to order one from northern brewer Search Results but they are unavailable. so i was wondering if any one could tell the fittings that would be needed to make one i am assuming the actual sight glass part i can use a cut to size racking cane. any help here would be appreciated. heres a pic of what northern brewer once sold
kk-thermosight.jpg

also going to say the piece in the picture below is going to be needed as well. can anyone tell me what its actually called its the piece thats around the sight glass
sight%20tube%20lit%202.jpg

I'm going to assume that its 1/2" NPT fittings. The ones I know for sure are the 1/2" NPT full coupler, 1/2"NPT 3 way pipe junction. The long "pipe" in between the 3way and the coupler is a pipe nipple, but it would be hard to say what the size would be.

Just curious what the price was on that. Morebeer sells a fitting for 25 dollars that allows for a sight glass and a thermometer into a brewing vessel. Add that morebeer fitting to a cooler bulkhead and you have built the same thing...

PM me if you want help finding all the parts for that picture you posted...

I'm going to assume that its 1/2" NPT fittings. The ones I know for sure are the 1/2" NPT full coupler, 1/2"NPT 3 way pipe junction. The long "pipe" in between the 3way and the coupler is a pipe nipple, but it would be hard to say what the size would be.

Just curious what the price was on that. Morebeer sells a fitting for 25 dollars that allows for a sight glass and a thermometer into a brewing vessel. Add that morebeer fitting to a cooler bulkhead and you have built the same thing...

PM me if you want help finding all the parts for that picture you posted...

Why is it valuable to put a thermometer in the sight glass; I assume the liquid in the sight glass is far from the temperature in the vessle... what am I missing?

Why is it valuable to put a thermometer in the sight glass; I assume the liquid in the sight glass is far from the temperature in the vessle... what am I missing?

The probe on the thermometer is long enough to reach inside where the temp isn't off, and it's one less weldless fitting that might leak (or one less welded fitting to weld)

Back on topic:
The second picture is of a fitting called a "compression fitting" which would be the best way to go when using a racking cane. Ace sells them.

The probe on the thermometer is long enough to reach inside where the temp isn't off, and it's one less weldless fitting that might leak (or one less welded fitting to weld)

Back on topic:
The second picture is of a fitting called a "compression fitting" which would be the best way to go when using a racking cane. Ace sells them.

What thermometer are you using?

The piece around the tubing is called a compression ferrule or just a ferrule. I don't recommend using a metal ferrule on polycarbonate tubing. You can get away with a nylon one, but I prefer a pair of silicone orings which is what I use on mine.

I'm generally convinced that racking canes are made from acrylic which is less heat tolerant than polycarbonate.

Thermometer goes through and inside vessel not just to the site glass.

Back