How bout this idea!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnsen

Reaction score
Ok....I have been weighing all my options to leap into allgrain....something I havent seen posted is an idea I just had....has anybody ever used a grain bag , such as you would use in a biab process.in a mash tun ?(aka the 10 gallon cooler) then after you mash for 1 to 1.5 hours you just pop the drain , drain ....then sparge...this way there would be no need for a false bottom. I feel I could make any size bag....or even a stailess steel screen to line the cooler...what the heck even both...has this been done with any success??....thankx from the newbie on the block...Tom

That is the way I do it. Works fine for me I got tired of all those damn buckets. I use an extra large nylon bag and a ten gallon Coleman cooler.

I was thinking of doing this a while ago. An effective filter and replacement to a braid or a false bottom.

@ DoubleAught
This way you wouldn't have the space limitations you get from BIAB.

I assume a sewing machine is required ? I don't have one unfortunately.

I dont either, I just wrap the ends with a little bit of sanitized fishing line when I go to strain it, and when I have it in my pot, i have a bungee cord holding it in place.

Plus I find its easier to clean when you dont sew it. Just let it dry and then shake all the grain off, and put it through the washing machine.

I have seen this discussed on HBT a number of times. In fact, I had the same thought after having trouble removing a bag full of hot, wet grain from the narrow neck of my keggle when I did a BIAB. When I really thought about it though, I decided to spend about $10 or so on some 1/2" CPVC and connectors and a few bucks on a ball valve and make a manifold for my old cooler instead. It is a very easy diy project and it works like a charm. I like BIAB but if you are going to use a cooler anyway, why not just convert it into a regular mash/lauter tun?

I use paint strainer bags in a 5 gallon igloo water cooler. When I drain and sparge, I pull the bag up and hold it open with spring clamps pinched on the handles. Works good.

Probably so it can still be used as a cooler

I can still use mine as a cooler. The manifold lifts right out for cleaning and I can replace the ball valve with the original plug in a couple of minutes if I want to do so. Unless you are planning on lifting the cooler to pour your wort out the top of the cooler and into your BK, you are going to need some type of valve on the cooler drain even if you use a bag instead of a manifold.

Back