Skeeter Pee Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
I got about 5 gallons of skeeter pee going using a raspberry slurry. I have one of the rooms set up in my house just for fermenting wines and ciders. I noticed the skeeter pee smelled a little off to me. When I walked in. My question is. Does it suppose to have a potent smell to it or did I do something wrong?

That's about what it smells like a little more of the lemon side but ya. Silver lemon smell kinda odd to me. I make a lot of fruit wines this is my first time making skeeter pee. So the smell was a little off to me.

That's about what it smells like a little more of the lemon side but ya. Silver lemon smell kinda odd to me. I make a lot of fruit wines this is my first time making skeeter pee. So the smell was a little off to me.

Skeeter Pee needs a healthy ferment. Stressed yeast can cause smells. I tell people to avoid ferments above 75 degrees, make sure your batch has plenty of oxygen, and if you notice smells developing, get out the whisk or egg beater and beat the snot out of it to get so O2 in there.

IMO you should just tailor your yeast to your expected ferment temps. Expect to ferment at 75º? Use something other than D-47. Expect to ferment below 60º? Use K1V-1116 or EC-1118.

I just moved mine into a secondary fermentor. The smell has gone down I tastes it last night not bad really strong on the lemon side. I'm going to add sorbate and simple syrup to sweeten it up a little. When it clears...

Back