Homebrew on an airplane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Hey everyone.....

Has anyone ever taken some of their beer with them on a flight? I don't think there would be an issue with bottles exploding (from cabin pressure changes) if they are not over-carbonated. I'm curious if anyone has ever done it? I'm looking to sharing some later in the spring.

Thanks,

Justin

uwmgdman said:
Hey everyone.....

Has anyone ever taken some of their beer with them on a flight? I don't think there would be an issue with bottles exploding (from cabin pressure changes) if they are not over-carbonated. I'm curious if anyone has ever done it? I'm looking to sharing some later in the spring.

Thanks,

Justin

From AA.com:

Alcoholic beverages in retail packages may be checked as baggage or carried on board, but are limited to five liters per passenger providing that following conditions are met:
  • The receptacle (bottle, can, etc.) does not exceed 5 liters.
  • The alcohol does not exceed 70 percent by volume (140 proof).
Alcoholic beverages under 24 percent by volume (most beers and wines) are not restricted. Opened containers are only allowed if they are re-closed and packed properly. Customs regulations by country may limit the amount of alcohol you may be transport. Please check ahead of time to ensure that you are in compliance with these limits.

---------------

I would feel better if had beer in checked baggage, to have the Grolsh type caps on the bottles -- just to be on the safe side, even though must baggage compartments are pressurized....

I wouldn't think twice about it. I ALWAYS carry a bunch of beers on the plane (and usually some tequila). To hell with airport bars, their crappy beer and prices.

Never gotten in trouble for it before, though technically you aren't supposed to drink your beers on the plane. I have encountered exactly one flight attendant who gave a damn. The rest are always cool about it. One time we got them to fill the barf bags with ice so we could chill beers.

Drinking beers hanging in the terminal is absolutely no big deal. No one cares.

If you aren't drinking them, then you have ZERO to worry about.

As far as exploding...cabins are pressurized. It's the equivalent of being in Denver if that. ZERO explosion chance.

I've taken beer on the plane before, but not for consumption just to make it to my destination.

I'll be doing it again on wednesday, to jersey, too.

I've done it too. I had 2 2 liter bottles with the carbonator caps on tehm in my carry-on. No problems, not even a question of what it was. Don't know if that is good, or bad. :mug:

Never thought to do that, but what I have done is bottle some of my bock or brown ale or whatever's dark into 20 oz. Coke bottles so that I can sneak them into ballgames. when I get searched, well, they think it's soda.........;)

One more question:
Has anyone carried their Homebrew to another country? Specificaly the Netherlands or Spain (or other EU country?). I am planning a trip to Holland and to Spain (don't know where I'll do customs yet) an was planning on a six pack (prepared as a gift for a friend) and maybe another six individually wrapped for some not so close people to carry with me.
thanks!
JP

m_f said:
One more question: Has anyone carried their Homebrew to another country? Specificaly the Netherlands or Spain (or other EU country?). I am planning a trip to Holland and to Spain (don't know where I'll do customs yet) an was planning on a six pack (prepared as a gift for a friend) and maybe another six individually wrapped for some not so close people to carry with me. thanks! JP
You'll find, for the most part, that all airline travel "hassles" stop once you are out of the US and if you are on a non-US flag ship.:D

Couple years ago I was questioned about too much Wine coming back from Europe, I pointed out the rules say per person and my daughter may not be old enough to drink it but she is a person....They bit.. only time I ever had an issue
As long as you aren't hauling commercial quantities most don't care

Don't know about home made stuff

I found this info last night:
from any country into the EU (for non-EU cit.): up to 2 liters of alcoholic beverages with <22% alcohol (vol). That;s dutty free, no need to declare it, no questions asked.

This is exactly a 6-pack of 12 oz bottles of my homebrew.

Caveat: living organisms (plants animals and cells) need to be declared, and is subject to aproval by the custom's officer. So the bottle conditioned stuff may enter in this category? I don't know, but I'll make use of the don't ask don't tell thing ;^)

Back