Homebrew competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyoder

Reaction score
Hope all of you in the Northeast are enjoying a snow day.

I have a few questions regarding homebrew competitions. My latest IPA turned out to be the best beer I have ever brewed. I even had remembered to fill 3, 12oz. bottles in order to enter them in a competition.

After looking at the what was available in my area, it looked as if the National Homebrew Competition would have been perfect. Unfortunately, after reading the rules, it looks like one 10-12 oz bottle is required for the first round, and then 3 bottles for each subsequent round. I bottled the entirety of the batch, besides those original 3, into 22oz. bottles.

My questions are 2-fold...

1- Would it be possible to somehow transfer some of the beer in the bombers into 12oz bottles without causing too much damage to the beer?

2- If not, would you enter a smaller competition that you fulfilled the quantity/size requirement for or just enter the NHC anyway?

Thanks for any and all advice,

Greg

I don't think its such a good idea to try to transfer from a 22oz bottle to 12oz bottles. Your going to lose some carbonation and potentially have a bit of oxidation.

If you want to enter NHC, just send in the one bottle for first round and if you make it past that re-brew the recipe for the 2nd round. If you time it right, you could have your re-brew of it at its peak for the 2nd round.

I would definitely rebrew if you're going to hit up the nationals. that said, I would likely start at a smaller competition. Or! You can send one to nationals, keep the other two and send them to a different comp. Then, if you make it to round two, you can rebrew.

The majority of competitions only require two 12-ounce bottles.

Find another competition to enter. There are plenty like ODaniel illustrated.

The most important thing to remember when entering you first few competitions is to keep your expectations realistic:

ScoreBars.jpg

Hahaha, nice graph.

I'm excited to brew my Stouts (FES this week) and enter them into competitions. I am mainly going to do it for the feedback. I hope I get good judges and not ones that just write "this is a bad beer". It's all about improvement for me.

Back