falling efficiencies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveWheeler

Reaction score
Hello all, I've searched the forum and have not found a specific answer to my question. I've been AG brewing for near two years now, and have regularly enjoyed mash efficiencies in the mid 80's. Lately my efficiencies are tanking; as low as 68%, more usually around 75%. No clue why. I use a mix of well water and R/O water for the mash. Have not checked my pH in a long time, so that may be a factor. I use a Barley Crusher, which is set the same as always. Do they get loose with time? I generally mash for up to two hours, and continually sparge by ladling. Sparge time is usually an hour +. I recently bought a bag of Canadian two row (Canada Malting Company), where I used Briess up until now. Any thoughts there? The spec tag was not attached. Thanks for any help, Steve.

I've noticed a different efficency from bag to bag. Rather the same brand or not. Check your Barley Crusher. It will loosen with time. Do your self a favor and stop by the auto parts store and buy some spark plug gauges. You'll be surprised how far out the rollers have gotten.

I've noticed a different efficency from bag to bag. Rather the same brand or not. Check your Barley Crusher. It will loosen with time. Do your self a favor and stop by the auto parts store and buy some spark plug gauges. You'll be surprised how far out the rollers have gotten.

Thanks, I'll try the gauge. I brewed a batch yesterday that appeared to have a brewhouse efficiency of only 75%, based upon my brewing software's default setting of 36 ppg. Set my crusher tighter today and brewed a batch which appeared to have a 74% efficiency. This is literally 10 points off my average efficiency. Going through my notes, I have noticed that the problem began when I started using this malt. At this point, I am thinking that the potential gravity points of this malt is only about 32 pts/pound. That seems awfully low, but it is the only explanation that makes sense to me. I won't be using Canadian malt again if I find that going back to Briess or Rahr makes the difference.

Back