Rogue Chipotle Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
Anyone ever made a version of the Rogue Chipotle Ale? I am not a huge fan but have a buddy who is and he wants me to make some. I believe they have discontinued it so I might be his only connection in the future. I was hoping someone had made it or something similar before and I could use that as a starting point.

AFAIK It's still available...I see it at all the stores that carry rogue near me.

Chipotle Ale is based on Rogue’s American Amber Ale, but delicately spiced with smoked chipotle chile peppers.

So base yours on an American Amber Ale recipe...then I would either steep some DRIED chipotles (not in adobo sauce) in hot water to make a tea and add some of the liguid in the last 15 minutes in the boil...and then possibly steam some (to sanitize, or soak in vodka) and add them to the secondary.

From rogue.com

Style: Amber Ale Food Pairing: Poultry, Pork

Tasting Notes:
Roasted chipotle peppers produce an eye opening chile flavor in this deep golden ale with a malty, smoky aroma and smooth, crisp flavor.

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington, Klages & Maier Munich.
Hops: Cascade and Willamette.
Specialty: Chipotle Peppers.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

And I'm pretty sure it's still around. It was still on the board in the pub in Portland a few weeks ago.

AFAIK It's still available...I see it at all the stores that carry rogue near me.

Still here in Wisconsin but have never tried it - I'm a huge Rogue fan though! Guess I'll have to bite the bullet at some time.

Still here in Wisconsin but have never tried it - I'm a huge Rogue fan though! Guess I'll have to bite the bullet at some time.

I've been thinking the same thing...I had a taster of Dragonmead's Chipotle ale at their anniversary taste fest this summer, and loved it, but wondered if I could stand an entire beer...The same with the Rogue (I'm a huge fan of their stuff as well)...though I guess if I didn't like it I guess I could cook with it.

I dunno If I'd brew 5 gallons of one though...perhaps Clemson, you MIGHT want to consider making a 5 gallon batch of your favorite amber ale, then rack half of it into a smaller fermentor and add the chipotle stuff to that.

I read that it was being discontinued online so don't know if that true, it could take months for the last of it to filter through though so who knows.

Chipotle beer is the best with BBQ! I don't think I could get through 5 gallons of it. This would be a nice split batch of an amber ale though.

Love that beer! I bought one on a camping trip and was sorry I only had one. I have been thinking of trying my hand at it after I have a few brews under my belt. I have a 1 gallon chocolate maple porter going and a 2 gallon pilsner. Chipotle stout is next!

Back