American Pale Ale Wild Dog Days of Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this today as my last Summer Ale for this season. I mixed up the hops with Cascade and added about .5oz of lime zest instead of orange since I really like lime. I'm sure this is going to be great!

Thanks, Bob. I actually combined this with a similar recipe and brewed it back in March. It's in the bottle for 2 weeks now and I cracked the first one open 2 days ago, it was FANTASTIC.

The changes I made were:

3 lbs Light DME, 3.3lbs Wheat DME, late addition
Full Boil
Zest from 2 lemons
and WLP 008 instead of 001

FG is 1.015 like you expected. I LOVE this beer. I can't wait to drink it out in the hot sun. I can honestly say this my frist brew that I'm completely satisfied with. Thanks for recipe!

I bottled this version of the recipe today and the flavour and aroma of the sample I took were awesome. Can't wait for it to carb!

I bottled this version of the recipe today and the flavour and aroma of the sample I took were awesome. Can't wait for it to carb!

This beer turned out great. Everyone loves it. I used zest from 2 navel oranges, 1 tangelo and 1 lemon. The orange aroma at bottling time was very strong, but died down to the perfect level after bottle conditioning.

I'm thinking of brewing this again next week but incorporating grapefruit zest.

This sounds like the perfect recipe for a summer ale. This will be my second batch so still a noob. A couple questions...

Why do you steep same bag of grains in two different batches if they will be combined? Getting most of the flavor/color out?

I only have a 5 gallon pot, so what would the differences be?

Thanks! Would love to try this one.

Just brewed this (a la Berlbrew) with the Wheat addition, orange, and lemon zest. Full boil and steeped the crystal 20 in one shot for 40 min and raised temp, no separate pot. No WLP yeast at my LHBS so I used Wyeast 1450 following an 800 mL starter. Tried to keep it around 70 degrees with the fermenter sitting in a water bath, but its getting hot down in Virginia (even in my basement!). Corrected OG 1.053. Can't wait!:mug:

Ok here my variation on the recipe. Using I want to use .5 of Citra as the bittering hop, keep the amarillo gold. And then dry hop with the other .5 of citra. Also thinking about using zest of one orange and one lemon.

I only have one 4 gal pot so I was going to do everything in a three gallon boil then mix it all together in the fermentor. Can anyone see any problems with this method? Suggestions? Comments?

Edit: of course I was going to the late extract addition.

Hey molnar, do you remember how this turned out with the extra citra dry-hop?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ressurecting this thread, I hope no one minds.

I'm fairly new to brewing, only done a few "beer kits", and they have seemed to turn out well. But, I want to branch out a bit now, and this recipe really jumped out at me. I have a few questions if people don't mind, i'm hoping to start this weekend.

1. I see in the OP that he says to add "70% DME late addition". What does this mean exactly? When I get the 4.5g to a boil, I remove from heat and stir in only 30% DME? And then at the end of the boil I add in the other 70%? Is that when I turn off the heat, or with like 10 minutes left?

2. The only thing I have available to me at this time is a 20qt pot for my boil. So boiling 4.5-5 gallons seems like I'd be cutting it close. Is it okay to do it at 4, and add in water when it goes into the fermenter?

3. Speaking of fermenter, what's the best way to transfer it? I've seen videos where people just dump it in from the pot, or should I siphon? I just made a cheap wort chiller, so it will be cooled before it goes in.

4. Finally, I noticed someone else asking this question but I didn't see an answer. Do you use all the yeast? I plan on doing a yeast starter the night before as I've read that's best for liquid yeast (I've only ever done rehydration of dry yeast).

Sorry for all the questions, like I said, I'm new to this and still learning. Thanks in advance of any help.

I went ahead and made this recipe, and damn is it ever tasty. Probably my favourite brew so far to date. The only change I would make to the way I did it was to add a bit more dextrose to the bottling, as I like my beer with a bit more carbonation. I went with 115g for the 19L, which is within the recommended range, but next time I'll add a bit more.

Thank you so much for the recipe and I will definitely be brewing this again.

Edit. Just thought I would add a few notes

Brewed this on Sept 10th, and let it sit in the primary until October 1st. Used a paint strainer while transferring to the bottling bucket to ensure not too much sediment came through. I had planned on letting it bottle condition longer, but this weekend is my birthday and I wanted it available for my party. Put one in the fridge last night and just cracked it open, and its perfect. So, very quick turnaround time for a brew.

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.009

Approx ABV: 6.5%

Last edited:
Dont use any filtering devices after your beer has fermented. You will aerate your beer and it wont taste right. Read up on cold crashing before bottling and you'll get clearer beer without aerating it. Happy bday btw! Enjoy the brew!!

Has anyone brewed this as an all-grain recipe? I loved this beer last summer but I've switched over to BIAB brewing. I'm screwing around in BeerSmith with ingredients but I've never done this before. The only way I can get the color close is by changing the Crystal 20 to 60. Would that work out ok in this beer?

I thought I'd resurrect this post. I did this recipe last weekend but with a lot of variation, potentially enough to call it an entirely new recipe. Following other people's modifications, and what was available from my LHBS, I made the following recipe:

.75 lb Crystal 15 - steeped at 150 for 30 Min
3 lbs Light DME - Half 60 min, Half 20 Min
3.5 lbs Wheat DME, Half 60 min, Half 20 Min
.5 oz Simcoe - 60 Min
1 oz Amarillo - Last 20 Min
1 Whirlfloc tablet - Last 5 Min
2 grated organic oranges - Half at 60 min, half at 20 min

I used same WLP001 but with a starter, pitched around 75 degrees (I know, a little high). It started fermentation about 4 hours after the boil!

I'm planning on using 5oz of Corn Sugar for carbonation in about 2-3 weeks.

I'll post an update once I give it a try about 2 weeks after bottling.

Bottled my all grain version of this today, and it tasted perfect. Can't wait till its all carbed up :mug:

Wanna post your all grain recipe? I have made the extract version, and I liked it. Would like a shot at the cheaper version.

Wanna post your all grain recipe? I have made the extract version, and I liked it. Would like a shot at the cheaper version.

Here's what I did, BIAB style. Changed a few things based on what I had/other suggestions in this thread. It's still a week out from being done carbonating, so I'll report back how it is later.

And this was the first time I converted a recipe myself so let me know if you have any other questions!

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER ALE (AG)

TARGET OG: 1.060
TARGET FG: 1.012

INGREDIENTS

• 9 lb. 2 Row malt
• 3.5 lb. white wheat malt
• 1 lb. Crystal 40 malt
• 0.5oz. Simcoe hops @ 60 min
• 1 oz. Cascade hops @ 15 min
• Zest of 2 oranges, 2 lemons @ 10 min.
• 1 tsp. Irish moss at 15 min.
• WL-008 East Coast Ale yeast

Just cracked my first bottle with the light/wheat extract.. one of my best... thank you everyone in this thread. This recipe needs to be more popular!

Here's what I did, BIAB style. Changed a few things based on what I had/other suggestions in this thread. It's still a week out from being done carbonating, so I'll report back how it is later.

And this was the first time I converted a recipe myself so let me know if you have any other questions!

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER ALE (AG)

TARGET OG: 1.060
TARGET FG: 1.012

INGREDIENTS

• 9 lb. 2 Row malt
• 3.5 lb. white wheat malt
• 1 lb. Crystal 40 malt
• 0.5oz. Simcoe hops @ 60 min
• 1 oz. Cascade hops @ 15 min
• Zest of 2 oranges, 2 lemons @ 10 min.
• 1 tsp. Irish moss at 15 min.
• WL-008 East Coast Ale yeast

What was your boil volume and batch size. Wanna try this biab as well here soon. How would i scale this to a 3 gallon batch?

What was your boil volume and batch size. Wanna try this biab as well here soon. How would i scale this to a 3 gallon batch?

I used some online calculator and came up with 8.3 gal for a 5 gal batch.
Beer smith can scale recipes

Back