Broken Jaw?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Maddock

Reaction score
How does one tell if a punch has rendered one's jaw broken?

It feels like it is broken, it hurts like it's broken, and my teeth on the side I got punched on are outta line. It also feels like the bone on the other side got fractured outward too, though not as bad, from the whalloping blow. By pushing on a certain spot on the jawbone, you can feel a definite "wiggle" and it hurts in the same place on the other side.

Should I consider the hospital? Or am I just being a hypochondriac (sp?)

The Maddock said:
How does one tell if a punch has rendered one's jaw broken?

It feels like it is broken, it hurts like it's broken, and my teeth on the side I got punched on are outta line. It also feels like the bone on the other side got fractured outward too, though not as bad, from the whalloping blow. By pushing on a certain spot on the jawbone, you can feel a definite "wiggle" and it hurts in the same place on the other side.

Should I consider the hospital? Or am I just being a hypochondriac (sp?)

Suck it up, wuss.

J/K

Uh, sounds broken to me!

What the hell happened? Or do we even want to know?

Well, first you should know that in this glorious town of Lockport, Illinois, there are alot of @ssh0les.

My buddy Tim dresses a little funny, I'll admit it, but he shouldn't be subjected **** every day.He has never had a problem when living in Chicago, or Oak Forest. I also have alot of problems with the people in this town. So anyway, he gets messed with every day.

Today, one of the town bullies passed us by in a car screaming profanities and throwing garbage out the window. I yelled some things back, the guy took it personal and got out of his car. He stumbled around (drunk I guess, or smoking pot) and yelled more profanities before approaching me, then his girlfriend got out of the car, approached me, and spat in my face. I wiped it off calmly, mumbled something about getting herpes, and then the guy apologized as he held out his hand for a handshake.

I grabbed his hand, he threw a right cross and landed it good on my jaw. My buddy Tim pulled his knife, the guy saw the knife, and scrambled to his car so fast that he stumbled and fell once before making it there.

So we laughed it over, about how fast he ran back to the car, and then I noticed that my jaw was hurting quite a bit. Tim said it probably wasn't broken and he had just "flexed" it. Now, 3 hours later after lots of painkillers and ice, it continues to hurt worse every minute.

I'm assuming you're worried abut the doctor bills? If not for the knife part, you could have called the cops and got him for assault. Odds are he would have had to pay.

I'd still get to the doc, ASAP. I'm no expert, but seems that if your jaw heals improperly, you'll be in for more trouble down the road.

Sam75 said:
I'd still get to the doc, ASAP. I'm no expert, but seems that if your jaw heals improperly, you'll be in for more trouble down the road.

I'd go to the doc. What's the worst that could happen....

You certainly dont want something like TMJ. My mother went through it. Caused intense headaches most hours of the day. Through Chiropractic care she recovered but it was hell.

D-O-C-T-O-R....you do not want to run into problems later on down the line. The law states that they must treat you in the ER even if you have no insurance (though that is why our premiums are so high:().

Bottom line is that you don't want to "wish you had taken care of it" down the road. This isn't like a toe or little finger. This is your jaw. regarding the knife, if it is a knive that is legal to carry it might not be a problem. Sounds like maybe it wasn't, though, judging by the reaction. The other party started the assault, and at that point you and your friend might be able to defend a "self defense" argument. What might help is the fact that the intended purpose was to scare the other party, and it did-they left. You and your friend didn't chase him down, did you?

Go to doctor. As long as knife itself is not illegal and you didn't stab the guy - file police report. If the ******* gets arrested (which he won't because they won't pursue him), sue his ass.

A jawbone never breaks only in one place. In two or more places usually. If in doubt seek medical attention.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=28547

102.gif

A knife? God Damn, cant anyone fight anymore? Sucker punches are a fact of life, your buddy shoulda decked him when he wasnt looking. If he had time to pull a knife, he had more then enough time for a sucker 1-2 combination. How old are you guys?

There is a great new invention called an X-ray. Apparently, doctors can take a picture of your bones and can tell if there are any broken bones. I now it sounds crazy but I saw something about it on TV. TV never lies.

Back