New to AG, Therminator ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto

ARC Brewing
Reaction score
Back in the game, have a few Partial Batches going. Working on switching to AG. Just built the DIY MLT, and thinking about next steps.

Thinking about buying a Therminator. My main question, what would the setup look like coming from the boil to the Therminator to the Fermenter. I am having some problems envisioning this. TIA.

It is just a heat exchanger that uses tap water in the reverse direction of the wort. Water in water out.

Wort from the boiler (in) and wort (out) to the fermenter.

Run the wort slower for colder wort out.

The chiller must be below the bottom of the boil pot to flow well.

WBC said:
It is just a heat exchanger that uses tap water in the reverse direction of the wort. Water in water out.

Wort from the boiler (in) and wort (out) to the fermenter.

Run the wort slower for colder wort out.

The chiller must be below the bottom of the boil pot to flow well.

I get that part the purpose and gravity position. However, none of my brew pots are valved or any of the like. I was looking at what I would need to get the wort to the chiller.

I use a stainless steel siphon and a wort wizard. You need to use glass carboys with carboy caps with these though so you can have a vacuum-driven closed system. Plastic won't handle the vacuum.

img1163ap7.jpg

The other important thing with this is you want an efficient straining mechanism because you don't want any hop matter getting through the chiller.

PseudoChef said:
I use a stainless steel siphon and a wort wizard. You need to use glass carboys with carboy caps with these though so you can have a vacuum-driven closed system. Plastic won't handle the vacuum.

I like that setup. :)
What are you using for the vaccuum source?

portski7 said:
Using the flowing water to create the vacuume. Venturi effect and all.

It looks like a commercial jet pump, what brand and model number etc?
Where was it purchased?

Back