Heineken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A co-worker gave my a 12 pack of Heineys for Christmas. Holy smokes they are skunky all most to the point that I can't drink them. I don't want to seem ungratefull but damn.

Imported Heineken is almost always terrible. Unfortunately, that skunky flavor has become synonymous with "good" imported beer. If you can get Heineken on tap, it's not a bad lager, but don't bother with the nasty green bottles.

I had a pull off of one of those mini-keg things over the holidays at a party. To my surprise, wasn't bad at all. First time I'd had a heine in a long time.

Heini = Never Good
Lowenbrau I had on tap in Europe, I absolutely loved it at the time. Came home and bought a six pack, never drank another Lowenbrau since that skunk.
It must just come with the importing of these beers.

jvh261 said:
I had a pull off of one of those mini-keg things over the holidays at a party. To my surprise, wasn't bad at all. First time I'd had a heine in a long time.

A friend of mine brought one of those to a party a little while back. It was probably the best tasting heineken ive had. Not saying im going to ever buy one of those. never been a heineken fan. I always get a good chuckle when people act all stuck up when they talk about how they only drink heineken.

Chris_Dog said:
Strange though the 12 pack of Heineken is fully enclosed by cardboard.

I've always wondered about that myself. I mean, at what point in the process is sunlight or indoor light exposed to the beer so much as to skunk it? Are the bottles left out in the sun for awhile before packaging? I just don't get it.

Evan! said:
I've always wondered about that myself. I mean, at what point in the process is sunlight or indoor light exposed to the beer so much as to skunk it? Are the bottles left out in the sun for awhile before packaging? I just don't get it.

I dunno, but I did hear someone claim (can't recall who, atm) that because of the effect of familiarity that developed over time that is the defining flavor of Heineken. Although I dunno, I suppose it could be true *shrug*, I mean if you taste the skunk, like the skunk, buy the skunk, drink the skunk....and then you go back to the store buy what you think is the skunk and it aint the skunk...welll...:fro:

zoebisch01 said:
I dunno, but I did hear someone claim (can't recall who, atm) that because of the effect of familiarity that developed over time that is the defining flavor of Heineken. Although I dunno, I suppose it could be true *shrug*, I mean if you taste the skunk, like the skunk, buy the skunk, drink the skunk....and then you go back to the store buy what you think is the skunk and it aint the skunk...welll...:fro:

I guess it is similar to living near a water treatment plant or chickin house. Once you get acustomed to the smell...

Every damn xmas party I went to this year except the one I took a keg to had Hiney as the best beer (or only beer) there. At least none I drank had the skunky taste to it.

Yeah, I agree. Heiny on tap is a decent lager, but I have a hard time getting past the bottle skunk. Of course, that all depends on what other beers are available. I will happily relish the skunk if the other option is, say, Miller Lite.

since we are talking about skunked beer and you brought up miller lite, did you know that miller lite is the only beer that will not skunk in the sun. They use some kind of hops extract that is immune to skunking. Cant remember where i read that but its just one of those useless pieces of information.

Drinking with my brother and my dad last weekend, my dad bought a round of Heinekens. They were cans but all that I could taste is that skunky flavor that I tasted last Christmas. Later that day I commented to them both what my experience was. Then tried to explain what skunky beer was to my brother. That is when he called me a beer snob.

Prior to brewing and learning a few things about beer I would think you were crazy if you called Heineken skunky. Now I don't care if I ever have it again.

On another note... my brother and dad loved my robust porter :ban: . My brother even blamed his drunkenness Friday on it. (Even though later that night he had several vats of Jack :drunk: ).

JBrady said:
since we are talking about skunked beer and you brought up miller lite, did you know that miller lite is the only beer that will not skunk in the sun. They use some kind of hops extract that is immune to skunking. Cant remember where i read that but its just one of those useless pieces of information.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/jnaikema/tetrahop.htm

Chris_Dog said:
Drinking with my brother and my dad last weekend, my dad bought a round of Heinekens. They were cans but all that I could taste is that skunky flavor that I tasted last Christmas. Later that day I commented to them both what my experience was. Then tried to explain what skunky beer was to my brother. That is when he called me a beer snob.

Prior to brewing and learning a few things about beer I would think you were crazy if you called Heineken skunky. Now I don't care if I ever have it again.

On another note... my brother and dad loved my robust porter :ban: . My brother even blamed his drunkenness Friday on it. (Even though later that night he had several vats of Jack :drunk: ).

Cans shouldn't skunk since they're not exposed to the light.

Evan! said:

i ran into the same problem with a pack of Pisner Urquel :(

I've never found Heinie to be "too" skunky. I've started buying the cans, partially because I prefer aluminum over glass, and partially because they "solve" the light-skunking issue.... I just wish they'd introduce canned Grolsch, I prefer it over Heinie.

When I think "skunky", I think Becks. I refuse to drink the stuff.

When I add lemon juice to Heinkein's, it seems to soften the skunky flavor. But, boy! I never understood what "skunky" beer was until I had Heinkeins.

I bought a mini keg earlier this year, and it was great. Had a heineken bottle at a 4july party, not so good. Amstel a little better, bottles are a bugger to cap.
Only complaint about mini keg was that it leaked about a half a coffee mug every day.

Back