digital thermometer - Is it worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
I've come to realize that one of the problems with my all-grain technique is that I'm not able to accurately measure the temp of the mash after I've mashed in. I never seem to hit the right temp, then I screw with it for a while and often end up with it being too hot or too cold.

I use a floating milk thermometer and/or a meat thermometer
http://morebeer.com/view_product/18683/102228

but I never feel like they are very accurate. For one thing, they usually are at least 4-5 degrees different.

Can someone let me know if they have an accurate method? Does anyone think that it's worth it to buy a digital thermometer like this:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/18686/102228

Thanks in advance,

monk

The digi is exactly what I use and gets a temp rather quickly. I've noticed that manual ones seem to take forever to settle on a final temp...they'll slow down and you think it's done but it keeps creeping, but my digi never creeps.

I picked mine up at Bed Bath and Beyond or something like that for less than $20.

Just watch that you don't sink the think too deep or water/wort gets in and it throws all your readings off until you bake it dry again.

Bobby_M said:
How about something cheaper, completely waterproof and recalabratable?

http://www.target.com/Taylor-Commer...&index=target&rh=k:kitchen thermometer&page=1

That looks like a pretty handy option Bobby. I have a digital one and sometimes steam and/or wort will get in where the wire connects to the metal end and it screws everything up for a bit and then you're just guessing on the temps. I may have to pick one of those up the next time I'm at Target.

I will say that the one thing I really like about my digital thermometer is being able to put one end of it in my pot and carry the digital part of it around the house with me and see what temperature the water or wort is at.

This is my thermometer:

https://www.daydots.com/article.asp?HKEY=002&strPRODH=003003001&strMATNR=40305-01-11

You can calibrate a thermometer pretty easily (or know if it's off). Fill a glass with finely crushed ice. At water and stir. Put your thermometer in it for 30 seconds, it should read 32 degrees.

Next, you are supposed to boil distilled water and adjust for the atmosphereic pressure, and should hit your water boiling point.

No, not for $30. You can get the samething at Walmart for half the price and no shipping.

I spent $14.99 at Target for a digital probe thermometer. It works well enough for me and is rather consistant.

explosivebeer said:
That looks like a pretty handy option Bobby. I have a digital one and sometimes steam and/or wort will get in where the wire connects to the metal end and it screws everything up for a bit and then you're just guessing on the temps.
Unless of course you waterproof it. I don't have a link handy but I know I've seen a DIY around. I waterproofed mine with a cheap piece of silicone aquarium air line tubing and some keg lube - now I'd have to dunk the thermometer probe plus several feet of the cable in the liquid before any water could get in.

The digital ones that you guys showed looks real good. The one in the original post is what I use. However, it must be adapted. In itself the probe is not waterproof. What I do with mine is I have one of those cheap rubermaid containers for food leftovers you find in the grocery store. Needs to be wide enough for the probe. You wrape the wire/probe junction with PVC tape so it is waterproof then you take the pointed end of the probe and poke it through a container. At least on mine it makes a very waterproof tight seal. Close the container and run the line out of your cooler to the readout. I have used this setup many times wihtout needing another container (like 6). There cheap... 4 bucks for a package of 5:)

Why have I not bought one of the other ones.... I like that I dont have to open up the cooler to find out what the temp is. That will screw up the temperature as well.

I got the one you were looking at on MoreBeer, and I like it because of the alarms. I can start heating my mash water on the stove, and when the temp hits 165 it beeps. Time to mash! The probe is long enough to where I can see the temp of my mash without opening the lid of my cooler. I also use it for meat temps in the oven and grill.

Most of the remote probe ones are just all over the map with temps. I've had a few and like the idea of measuring mash temp without opening the cooler. I liked the built in alarm and timer, etc. However, once it's not reading right, there's nothing you can do about it. That's why I got the NSF, waterproof, recalibrateble one from target.com.. it says only available online by the way.

Monk said:
I've come to realize that one of the problems with my all-grain technique is that I'm not able to accurately measure the temp of the mash after I've mashed in. I never seem to hit the right temp, then I screw with it for a while and often end up with it being too hot or too cold.

Does anyone think that it's worth it to buy a digital thermometer like this:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/18686/102228

Thanks in advance,

monk

Is buying a piece of equipment worth it?

My brew partner and I are having a ball with our new hobby. One of the things we want to do is make great beer as cheaply as possible. That is the challenge to ourselves.

After a brew session we talk abot the day and where we need to go in the future.

As new equipment purchases come up we ask ourselves, 1) "Will this improve our beer?" 2) Will it make our processes easier?"

As we build our brewery all of our number ones are funded. Then, as we develop in stages, we fill in with our number two's.

If you buy a $29.00 thermometer, will it improve YOUR beer?

I got the NIST therm posted on here a few times for Christmas.. brewed with it yesterday and loved it.. spot on temps and don't have to worry about getting it wet.. I'm glad I have a chemist father-in-law whose as excited about themometers as I am.. now I'm hoping he can score me an old stir plate

Just to add to the fun here... Nicksteck and I are in the middle of our second AG brews. We've each got our own rig, but between the two of us we have 9...count em NINE thermometers... 5 analog and 3 digital... and I'd use 9 more to make sure I was on target

I use a digital for the strike/sparge water and an external digital as well as a dairy thermometer for the mash

Trip

I have been using this one, works great and it loves the steam

Traceable™

Thermometers are ideal for round-the-clock monitoring of semi-solids, air/gas, or liquids in incubators, refrigerators, freezers, water baths, and outdoor tanks. Useful in wet lab/plant areas and outdoors.

Thermometers may be placed anywhere. Easy-to-view 6.4mm (1/4") high LCD digits can be read at a glance. LCD operates in environments above freezing. Probe with stainless steel sensor performs accurately when under water. Records highest and lowest temperature readings over any time period. Reading updates every second.

Housing is waterproof and shockproof.

A serial numbered certificate is provided from an ISO 17025 calibration laboratory accredited by A2LA to indicate instrument traceability to standards provided by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Temperature Range: –50 to 300°C (–58 to 572°F)
Resolution: 0.1° from –19.9 to 199.9°, 1° elsewhere
Accuracy: ±1°C
Dimensions,
Unit: 4.4dia. x 1.3D cm (13/4 x 1/2")
Probe: 0.36dia. x 12.7L cm (5/32 x 5")
Weight: 42.5 g (1.5 oz.)

Ordering Information: Thermometers are supplied with probe with 3m (10') cable, magnet to attach thermometer to metal, suction cups and Velcro® fastener to mount thermometer on any surface, and 1.5V silver-oxide battery for one year of continuous “always on” monitoring.
010837.jpg

2246957360101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

srm775 said:
No, not for $30. You can get the samething at Walmart for half the price and no shipping.

Hmm, buying cheap often tends to work out very expensive. I originally had a cheap digital probe which had a tendency to go wild on occasions (especially if a drop of water got on it) and has screwed up a mash and a pitching for me. In the end I invested in a high quality fully waterproof and laboratory calibrated digital thermometer. It wasn't cheap but at least I know that it is telling the truth and it should last for many years.

jezter6 said:
The digi is exactly what I use and gets a temp rather quickly. I've noticed that manual ones seem to take forever to settle on a final temp...they'll slow down and you think it's done but it keeps creeping, but my digi never creeps.

I picked mine up at Bed Bath and Beyond or something like that for less than $20.

Just watch that you don't sink the think too deep or water/wort gets in and it throws all your readings off until you bake it dry again.

We had EXACTLY that happen with our dig thermometer. The next one we got, we stuck the probe into a length of tubing, and it's watertight now.

Some of these designed to be waterproof thermometers look even better though!

Back