Step Mash...why or why not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggerk

Reaction score
This question is about step mashing. I just read the article in this month's (Jan-Feb 08) Brew Your Own (BYO) about step mashing and still have questions...

Why step mash? If modern malts are otherwise fully modified, what benefits do I get from step mashing? What about if I'm using ingrediants like wheat flakes, oatmeal, etc?

Why not step mash? If malts are otherwide fully modified, is there a reason I SHOULDN'T step mash?

What beer styles benefit or should be step mashed (so then I need the mash schedule to use [temp / time.])

Thanks in advance! :mug:

IMO, the deciding factor is whether you use a cooler as an MLT or if you use a keggle/pot that's direct fired.

If you are using a large percentage of wheat, or something else that has more protien in it, a protien rest can help with some possible haziness. Other than that, most malts are fully modified and steps aren't necessary.

ohiobrewtus said:
IMO, the deciding factor is whether you use a cooler as an MLT or if you use a keggle/pot that's direct fired.

Lately, I've been using the boil pot (7.5 Gal) as the mash tun only because its easier to stir the mash without spilling half of it out of my combined mash/lauter tun (MLT.) Then I use a 2-qt sauce pan (don't tell SWMBO!) to ladel the mash into the lauter tun.

I use the "ZAPAP" bucket in bucket method to lauter. Actually, I cut the bottom 2-inches off the bottom of the bucket with all the holes driled in, and flipped it over to make a false bottom.

Brewsmith said:
If you are using a large percentage of wheat, or something else that has more protien in it, a protien rest can help with some possible haziness. Other than that, most malts are fully modified and steps aren't necessary.
Interesting point, because the Belgian Wits I'm doing are 50% wheat flakes. And in both those cases, I did step mash.
The first time by accident; I just couldn't hit the mash temp (too low) so I dumped the whole thing out of my combined-MLT into the brew pot and added heat. It came out great!
The second Wit that's fermenting now, I purposly did a protein rest, largely on the advice of the brewers at one of the local microbrews (Bristol Brewery, Colorado Springs.)

step mashing also allows you to control how fermentable the wort is. high mashing temps, say 160F, will give you less fermentable sugar, so a sweeter finished beer with a lot of mouth feel.

lower temps give you a much drier beer.

sometimes a step mash is just a protein rest, and then 153 for a balance between beta and alpha amylaze...some times its a beta rest and an alpha rest...with no protein rest.

but Palmer explains it much better than me.

Back