Need Kolsch help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smackett

Reaction score
I want to make a Kolsch beer and I know you do the primary in the 65 deg. mark. then drop the temp for the secondary. Will this affect my bottling. I don' keg yet so I have to bottle condition.

It requires major league expensive equipment to get the yeast outta your beer, so generally don't sweat the cold crash. Done it twice w/ excellent results.

Personally I like to keep primary fermentation temps at 56°F. Wyeast's 1007 German Ale Yeast works great at this temp, and produces a damn fine kolsch. I ferment at 56° for 3 weeks, then cold crash to 35° for a month or so, all in the primary, I do not use a brite tank. I have no problem bottle conditioning my beers, if you're worried about lack of yeast in suspension, just stick the racking cane into the yeast bed while siphoning to the bottling bucket, you just need to suck up a small cloud, and the yeast will have no problem carbing up your bottles.

Back