Bottle cleaning suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hello all. I have about a case of beer bottles that need cleaning bad. I did soak them in hot water for quite awhile, shook them up and all. After pouring the water out I checked each bottle and there is still dried on beer on the bottom of the bottles. Any suggestions on how to clean those when they are dried on like that?

You can try to soak them in some brewery wash (pain oxyclean with no perfumes or scent) and let them soak overnight.
I've read where some use their dishwasher without any detergent and the heat cycle will sanitize them but I wouldn't do that until they are thoroughly cleaned.
I have a cheap tap attachment bottle washer than sprays a serious force of water and will clean just about anything. Cheap investment if you don't have one.

I inherited several cases of nasty old bottles at one time. I soaked them with pbw for a while and then scrubbed the hell out of then with a bottle brush. Then pbw round 2. Worked for me, but it takes some time and elbow grease

I just spent the weekend cleaning out 150+ nasty bottles, hand scrubbing each until I had an epiphany: my drill. I soaked in oxi overnight, then put my bottle brush in my cordless drill to quickly scrub each bottle; I ended maybe 5 seconds each once I got into the rhythm. Afterwards they went back in for a second oxi soak, then warm water rinse and a run through the dishwasher with no soap. They're good as new.

Try out the bottle-brush-in-a-drill, it really works!

Back