American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for the extract recipe, i thought munich was mash only... am i missing something?

and Melanoiden?

I wonder how different this would taste using WLP001 vs. Wyeast1968 or even WLP002? I want to make this but because it will be difficult to get the temperature in my house to stay between 64-68 for the 002 I was thinking of using WLP001. I'm sure it won't be a dead on clone but I would think it would still taste like a pretty damn good APA. Thoughts? Concerns? Discuss amongst yourselves.

Mine is still a little green but the 04 was eerily close to the real zombie dust. I'd just stick with that imho.

I wonder how different this would taste using WLP001 vs. Wyeast1968 or even WLP002? I want to make this but because it will be difficult to get the temperature in my house to stay between 64-68 for the 002 I was thinking of using WLP001. I'm sure it won't be a dead on clone but I would think it would still taste like a pretty damn good APA. Thoughts? Concerns? Discuss amongst yourselves.

I have used S-05 (same as WLP001, but cheaper and higher cell count per package), S-04 (Dry English Yeast), and 1968.

S-05 ends a little lower FG, which allows the bitterness to come through and taste is a little drier.

S-04 ends a couple points higher FG, so is a bit sweeter than the S-05, more fruity esters also.

1969 finished a bit higher than the S-04. It was also fruity. I will mash a bit lower the next time I use this.

All three ended up being fantastic beers. So, if you want it to be more like the real Zombie Dust then use one of the English yeasts. If you like beers a bit dryer and more bitter, the S-05 (Cali ale yeast).

After making this with the original recipe, I'd never ever deviate from it. I can't imagine it could get any better.

eviljay said:
After making this with the original recipe, I'd never ever deviate from it. I can't imagine it could get any better.

My Citra AA were higher than Skeezers and I do 5 gallons compared to his 6 so I had to alter it somewhat. Skeezer, any thoughts about getting the color closer to the original? I could care less really, I'll never get to taste it.

since you are doing 5g instead of 6, you could reduce the C60 and aromatic from 8oz to 6.66 oz, that may lighten it up. The recipe I have posted is almost perfect on color.

Are you in Lebanon the country?

Back to the yeast question. After making about 12 gallons of this with two packets of 04 pitched directly on it I am thinking that the yeast may have a little to do with the flavor differentiation so maye trying a liquid would help but that being saidTho citra hops, or all hops for that matter can taste quite different from crop to crop and supplier to supplier. Freshness, storage conditions are all huge factors in my opinion you see these hoppy beers changing so fast over time. This is a fantastic recipe, has been fun drinking and sharing this one with people, I definitely don't regret going for the double batch on my first try, skeezers recipes are great.

skeezerpleezer said:
since you are doing 5g instead of 6, you could reduce the C60 and aromatic from 8oz to 6.66 oz, that may lighten it up. The recipe I have posted is almost perfect on color.

Are you in Lebanon the country?

6.66, nice! I'm a metal fan myself. In Lebanon PA, gotta update my profile I guess. My bad on color, thought there was a pix on here where a side by side showed yours alot darker. I'm calling this an IPA, hate when breweries label their beers so far outta style. I did a Zthos IPA also, got me second place at a comp in PA a couple weeks ago. It's on my Hopville page, The Kraken.

Metal fan here as well. I have a brother that lives in Harrisburg, which isnt too far from there (as of a few weeks ago, I know he still had a decent amount of Zombie Dust that he got at Dark lord Day...he may trade you for something. PM me if interested and I can get you in touch with him)

As far as the pictures, there may be more head to head pics in the other long thread. This is definitely an IPA, but not on the "Three Floyds IPA" level, so I guess they think it is an APA.

Nice job on the Zythos. I did an all Zythos IPA awhile back also, I like the hop blend. I also did a Falconer's 7Cs that came out pretty good.

Metal fan here as well. I have a brother that lives in Harrisburg, which isnt too far from there (as of a few weeks ago, I know he still had a decent amount of Zombie Dust that he got at Dark lord Day...he may trade you for something. PM me if interested and I can get you in touch with him)

As far as the pictures, there may be more head to head pics in the other long thread. This is definitely an IPA, but not on the "Three Floyds IPA" level, so I guess they think it is an APA.

Nice job on the Zythos. I did an all Zythos IPA awhile back also, I like the hop blend. I also did a Falconer's 7Cs that came out pretty good.

I rarely get to Harrisburg and dont really have anything trade worthy, maybe a Troegs meeting? My Zythos was good but i didnt love it, judges and I agree it tasted like a fruit salad. I think the Zythos would work better with a summery wheat beer, maybe alter a Gumballhead recipe. Havent used any of the Falconers flight stuff, may try to find some.

Fermenting away. Im gonna be pushing the high end of the S-04 temp, will this be a problem? I'll be doing swamp coolers in the summer from now on I guess.

My first batch I did in a swamp cooler around 70 and it came out fine. I have since built a fermentation chamber, so usually ferment in the low 60s.

Cool. I kicked a keg so I was able to get it down to 66 in the fridge, outside in the garage now bubbling away. I guess I'll have to live with only three beers on tap so I have the room for a carboy.

+1 to low 60's on the S-04 this yeast freakin chugs away and consistently flocs within 48 hours for me so it's very important in my expieriences to pitch adequately and keep it low. I've had good luck with 62-66.

+1 to low 60's on the S-04 this yeast freakin chugs away and consistently flocs within 48 hours for me so it's very important in my expieriences to pitch adequately and keep it low. I've had good luck with 62-66.

Yep, I brewed this again 3 days ago. Pitched a 1500ml starter of S-04, fermenting around 62, and the airlock action is already very slow (I know), and the krausen is almost completely fallen out. I don't ever bother checking the gravity for 10 days or so, but it definitely started fast and has been chugging along.

skeezerpleezer said:
Yep, I brewed this again 3 days ago. Pitched a 1500ml starter of S-04, fermenting around 62, and the airlock action is already very slow (I know), and the krausen is almost completely fallen out. I don't ever bother checking the gravity for 10 days or so, but it definitely started fast and has been chugging along.

I was under the impression you couldnt make starters with dry yeast? Maybe it's because it's cheap just to buy two packs?

Skeez, I'm sitting at 1.022 from 1.063 after 7 days. Thinking about pitching another pack of S04? Should've started with two I guess.

Just brewed an extract batch last night, using the 1968. Blow off tube is already nice and full and she's steadily bubbling away. The smell coming through the water is amazing, I almost took a sip its that enticing! I simply can not wait for this beer to be ready! Have a feeling this one is going to be constantly brewed! Cheers

sivdrinks said:
I was under the impression you couldnt make starters with dry yeast? Maybe it's because it's cheap just to buy two packs?

You definitely could make starter with dry. The reason it would be better to use liquid, is because it isn't stressed like they say dry is due to the actual process of drying, which may lead to off flavors. In fact, without making a starter, i have personally had better attenuation with dry.

sivdrinks said:
Skeez, I'm sitting at 1.022 from 1.063 after 7 days. Thinking about pitching another pack of S04? Should've started with two I guess.

I would try to just rouse the yeast a little before adding more. Gently swirl the fermenter, or use a racking can to gently stir some yeast back into suspension.

Brewed this up yesterday with 50/50 2 row, MO. Hit 1.066 so I was happy. Got temp down to 68 threw in 1500 ml of wlp001 as I know I won't have my house cold enough to keep it in 60s range. Its bubbling away nicely now. Can't wait to drink this again last keg was gone in no time.

skeezerpleezer said:
I would try to just rouse the yeast a little before adding more. Gently swirl the fermenter, or use a racking can to gently stir some yeast back into suspension.

Thanks Skeez, exactly what I ended up doing. Got a blurp every 30 seconds or so, see what happens.

Hi all.

Just kegged my try at this 3 days ago, so it's still young. I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like but here are my notes..

During fermentation, the smell coming from the blow off was a thing of beauty - like many others have mentioned. Took a taste after 10 days in Primary and what I wrote down was "stinky shoes" - a bit like what my sneakers smell like after a run. Not very pleasing. Tasted again at kegging (after 10 days dry hopping in secondary) and noted a 'stale' aroma, and a really strong grapefruit-like finish.

This is my first go with Citra - is this what it's supposed to taste like? Again, still young. So maybe it will mellow out after a few weeks in the keg. But so far, I give it a "good" - but not the "great" I was hoping for.

Any thoughts?

Well, I'm done at 1.022, pretty disappointed. Guess mashing around 154 is too high for this beer, with my setup anyway. Or maybe fermenting at the top end for a day killed it. Don't need to rack yet and haven't yet dryhopped. Should I pitch more S04? I have a pack of champagne yeast? It's good, just a bit heavy.

8 days in around 66* and I seem to be stuck at 1.031 on my extract version. Was late the night I made it and looks like I forgot to take my OG sample so no clue what I started out at. Read an earlier post and I'll try gently swirling to active the yeast again. If that doesn't work what are my options before I dry hop in 2 days?

epateddy said:
Hi all.

Just kegged my try at this 3 days ago, so it's still young. I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like but here are my notes..

During fermentation, the smell coming from the blow off was a thing of beauty - like many others have mentioned. Took a taste after 10 days in Primary and what I wrote down was "stinky shoes" - a bit like what my sneakers smell like after a run. Not very pleasing. Tasted again at kegging (after 10 days dry hopping in secondary) and noted a 'stale' aroma, and a really strong grapefruit-like finish.

This is my first go with Citra - is this what it's supposed to taste like? Again, still young. So maybe it will mellow out after a few weeks in the keg. But so far, I give it a "good" - but not the "great" I was hoping for.

Any thoughts?

I get a cat urine smell when it's young. That fades after a little time. I've brewed this twice now and would say it gets much better with a little age. I bottle and after a month and a couple weeks in the fridge, I'm getting mango.

I've been stuck at 1.3, I'm going to rack to another carboy after I finish dry hopping, hopefully I can stir up some yeast and get this to ferment down a bit more.

It should go way lower than that, in the .016-.020 range has been pretty normal. I would do like you mentioned and try to rouse the yeast. Try not to shake or stir to hard to avoid oxidation. What yeast and temp did you use?

I'm an idiot, I just started using a refractometer and didn't realize I need to use two different calculators for the sg and fg.

It's actually right where is should be///

eleets2144 said:
I'm an idiot, I just started using a refractometer and didn't realize I need to use two different calculators for the sg and fg.

It's actually right where is should be///

Phew and here I thought I was the only one. Haha. I broke my hydrometer so I used a refractometer, only to read later that you need to calculate the fg. Bought a new hydrometer and I'm sitting at 1.019.

Ok, good deal. For future reference if you have beersmith there is a tool that you can use to convert brix to SG. Probably other online calculators also if you dont use beersmith. The refractometer is way easier and quicker for checking SG during fermentation (bad thing is you don't get to drink a sample).

Moved this to secondary yesterday for dry hop. Got it down to 1.008 for a abv of 7. Taste is just fantastic. Had a few friends taste the sample and they said they liked to mix of mo and pale malt. Thanks for great recipe.

sparky701 said:
Moved this to secondary yesterday for dry hop. Got it down to 1.008 for a abv of 7. Taste is just fantastic. Had a few friends taste the sample and they said they liked to mix of mo and pale malt. Thanks for great recipe.

How did you get it down that far? Mine was 1.021, lowest I've seen here is around 1.016.

sivdrinks said:
How did you get it down that far? Mine was 1.021, lowest I've seen here is around 1.016.

I left in primary for 10 days around 70 the whole time. Pitched 1500ml starter. First time I made it I got down that far as well.

Back