Historical Beer: Kentucky Common "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tradition liquor of Maryland is rye whiskey. What would you think of a version of this brewed with a larger proportion of rye and an east coast ale yeast? And do you have any suggestions as to just how much rye this recipe might take before the flavor becomes unbalanced? Thanks.

jphebbie2 said:
Has anyone tried to this beer on a nitro faucet? I need to fill that gap in my pipeline and have been looking for something other than your standard milk, dry, or chocolate stout. Plus a nice crisp session beer is always nice to have once it starts warming up.

I haven't tries it on Nitro but I think it would be great. Things that aren't as dark but on Nitro are still delicious. The tetleys and old speckled he in cans with widgets come to mid.

I didn't want to read through all the pages to see if someone might have asked this already so please excuse me if it has been. I want to brew this soon and stay true to recipe, so my question is; Is 5 gal your actual post boil amount, if not what is so I can adjust to my common batch size. Also do u recommend priming with table sugar or is that what you had on hand. And finely do you have any Pre boil SG, OG, or FG readings and brewhouse efficiency? In short, I want to taste the beer you taste!

Has anyone tried to this beer on a nitro faucet? I need to fill that gap in my pipeline and have been looking for something other than your standard milk, dry, or chocolate stout. Plus a nice crisp session beer is always nice to have once it starts warming up.

I don't keg, nor do I have access to a nitro setup, but I think it would probably be awesome. I'm planning on doing a batch of this for the world series of historic base ball event I participate in, and considering building a beer engine base on the RV hand pump design on here, doing it sort of a cask ale.

The tradition liquor of Maryland is rye whiskey. What would you think of a version of this brewed with a larger proportion of rye and an east coast ale yeast? And do you have any suggestions as to just how much rye this recipe might take before the flavor becomes unbalanced? Thanks.

I just did a version which I plan on bottling today where I doubled up the rye. I'm curious about it too. and will let you know.

I didn't want to read through all the pages to see if someone might have asked this already so please excuse me if it has been. I want to brew this soon and stay true to recipe, so my question is; Is 5 gal your actual post boil amount, if not what is so I can adjust to my common batch size. Also do u recommend priming with table sugar or is that what you had on hand. And finely do you have any Pre boil SG, OG, or FG readings and brewhouse efficiency? In short, I want to taste the beer you taste!

My post boil amount is 5 gallons with a 6.5 gallon pre-boil numbers. I don't believe I recorded my pre boil gravities when I brewed this. The day I brewed it I was being video taped for a brewing video by a buddy of mine for his video production class, so although I took those readings I didn't record them on my brew sheet since there was so much going on. I can try to find the estimated numbers in beersmith if that will help, I usually hit my numbers. My beersmith default efficiency is 75%.

No need to, that info helps plenty! I can take it from there. When I brew it I'll be adjusting to 6.5g batch because I like to bottle 5+gal. also lets me transfer cleaner. I'm not sure when it will be but I'll let you know how it goes.

I just did a version which I plan on bottling today where I doubled up the rye. I'm curious about it too. and will let you know.

A friend of mine just posted the date for his annual crab feast and I've decided to brew up a batch of your recipe for the event. I love the idea of making a Chessapeake Common Ale, but I'm gonna do a partial mash of your recipe first. We're skipping for ingredients tomorrow after work. I just wanted to say thanks for posting what looks like an outstanding beer.

I just bought the ingredients for this with two changes. I went with six row for a bit more of a historical feel, and they only had malted rye, so I got that. I was assured they were interchangable, so I'm sure it will be fine.

Brewing tomorrow gives us just enough time to get this ready. After a month of primary and a month of conditioning the bottles will be ready for consumption 24 hours before the party.

Speaking of primary, I know how you feel about your process, Revvy, but I'm warry of leaving my brew I'm a plastic bucket for a full month. If my sanitization is good and I avoid hot side areation snould I be fine, our should I limit my fermentation to 3 weeks or so?

I just bought the ingredients for this with two changes. I went with six row for a bit more of a historical feel, and they only had malted rye, so I got that. I was assured they were interchangable, so I'm sure it will be fine.

Brewing tomorrow gives us just enough time to get this ready. After a month of primary and a month of conditioning the bottles will be ready for consumption 24 hours before the party.

Speaking of primary, I know how you feel about your process, Revvy, but I'm warry of leaving my brew I'm a plastic bucket for a full month. If my sanitization is good and I avoid hot side areation snould I be fine, our should I limit my fermentation to 3 weeks or so?

I've left beers 6 months in a bucket with no issues. Just like hot side aeration is a myth, so is this worry about leaving it for a month is nonsnse. You really think if it were possible that it would ANY different if it were 3 weeks or 4?

This beer sat in a bucket for more than a month.......

I'm a fan of Cluster. People tend to treat it like a trash hop for some reason, but I think it's a fun hop to toss into winter warmer and spice beers because of it's really spicy character.

I don't think I'd make an IPA out of it or anything... but it just seems so different from the major hops that have been floating around (Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, etc.)

I'm a fan of Cluster. People tend to treat it like a trash hop for some reason, but I think it's a fun hop to toss into winter warmer and spice beers because of it's really spicy character.

I don't think I'd make an IPA out of it or anything... but it just seems so different from the major hops that have been floating around (Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, etc.)

Yeah it is an interesting hop. I've never used it for anything before this. It just seems appropriate.

Cluster--Domestic--All Purpose

Cluster is the oldest variety grown in the U.S. Origin of the rootstock is uncertain. Until the late 1970s, it was one of only a few varieties growing in the U.S. Excellent general purpose hop with medium and well-balanced bittering potential. This hop leaves no undesirable aroma properties. Good for dark beers with roasty and chocolaty aromas. Alpha acids content is 5.5-8.5%, aroma is a strong floral. It has Bittering with good flavor. Storage stability of the alpha acids is among the best in the world. The variety grows with good vigor and cone production.

cluster.gif

It would probably be interesting to do an "early american" IPA with it. I also think some of the early american beers (Like Ben Franklins, Washington's or T-Jefferson's recipes would be interesting to do with them.)

Yeah it is an interesting hop. I've never used it for anything before this. It just seems appropriate.

It would probably be interesting to do an "early american" IPA with it. I also think some of the early american beers (Like Ben Franklins, Washington's or T-Jefferson's recipes would be interesting to do with them.)

The last time I used it was in a Mad Elf clone and it fit in really well.

I've left beers 6 months in a bucket with no issues. Just like hot side aeration is a myth, so is this worry about leaving it for a month is nonsnse. You really think if it were possible that it would ANY different if it were 3 weeks or 4?

This beer sat in a bucket for more than a month.......

Wow this makes me feel a lot better. I'm brand new to brewing and the thing I still haven't gotten a hold on is calming down. I started with John Palmer's book and tried to absorb all the science in it. I'm focusing too much on the little things before I get comfortable brewing.

Thanks for keeping this beginner grounded.

Commoners made beer for thousands of years in squalor. People micromanage the process to much. If beer wasn't forgiving I doubt it would have stayed this popular for so long.

The only time micro managing is appropriate is if your trying to recreate exact beers for comp or commercial use. Most recipe will turn out at least good at any mash temp within range. Or many different hop types or additions. Or really any way you brew em.

revvy I had a question for you. You mentioned hot side aeration to be a myth. I don't agree or disagree due to extensive info both supporting and debunking it. I was wondering what your personal opinion was. You can PM me if would like. Thanks

We brewed this last night (BiaB) and wow we got terrible efficiency. We hit our strike and sparge temps. We realized we were under when we took the pre boil grav, but we did a partial boil and couldn't figure out what our diluted final grav would be. We added a bit of brown sugar cause we didnt have any dme. Final grav is 1.040 (58% efficiency). It should still be great.

Im brewing this next weekend,im trying to get rid of hops because i have more than grain.And im trying to use them up. Any reason not to add some more hops at flame out?-think i might. Im going to use some "gingered" ale beer slurry also, I dont think it would hurt, it was 05 yeast. Probably using galena hops also but possibly hallertau,or both even. Ill post back my results.I believe in sticking to particular ingredinets for good results for recipes but sometimes good things happen otherwise,im hoping this is the case,i need to use up my supply before they use me up.

Brewing this up as I type. Started with 8.5 gallons pre boil with a Sg of 1.036. My numbers in beersmith must be wrong somewhere cause it says my mash efficiency is 112%. Not really possible.

Edit: into the carboy at 1.050. I will take it

I have a whiskey barrel I've been itching to use. I was contemplating using it for a batch of this brew I have in the primary right now. On the other hand, I've also thought about just trying it as is this time since I've never brewed it before. Anyone have any experience going this route?

Took a reading last night and we're down to target gravity. Tasting the sample we found it a bit harsh. There is a strong bitter aftertaste and a but of tannin bite. The beer is still young. Can't wait to see how it finishes out.

oh yeah, it also tastes like it's gonna go really well with crabs and old bay, so mission accomplished!

Brewed a very slightly different version of this. Big difference is I used East Coast Yeast Strain 12. Says it should ferment at lager temps but the label says 58-68. I have it at 55 degrees now and it's just getting going after a day and a half of nothing. I'm curious how this turns out. If anyone wants to trade a bottle with me of their ale version send me a PM.

Revvy,

Why mash at 148 instead of 150? Does it change the sugars that much?

Why mash at 148 instead of 150? Does it change the sugars that much?

Simple answer, Yes. Your mash window is pretty small ranging from around 148F to 162F, depending on who you talk to.. Every one to two degrees will change the enzyme conversion just enough to notice if you did a side by side taste test. this gives you a large flavor variable range in that 14 degrees.. Long story short, every 2 degrees counts! :rockin: Rock out with mash temp control!

Boiling this as I'm typing. Mash went well. Started at 149 ended at 147 in my cooler tun. I upped the black patent a touch for some more color as I am planning to serve this on my nitro faucet. Will update in a month or so when I tap it

I have a whiskey barrel I've been itching to use. I was contemplating using it for a batch of this brew I have in the primary right now. On the other hand, I've also thought about just trying it as is this time since I've never brewed it before. Anyone have any experience going this route?

I have a whiskey barrel on order. Should pick it up on Tuesday:ban:. I guess I'll have to do a batch of this and chuck it in. Probably won't be for awhile though. I'm putting my 5 year Barleywine in it for a week before bottling the probably want to do a stout in there.

Any update on this Revy?

I am drinking it now. Of course it only chilled overnight so the carbed wasn't totally locked in yet. In fact it poured with a huge rocky head.

It is definietly spicier than the other version. I'm not sure if I like it better that the original or not. I wish I had a couple bottles of the original to compare it to.

It's definitely tasty.

I don't keg, nor do I have access to a nitro setup, but I think it would probably be awesome. I'm planning on doing a batch of this for the world series of historic base ball event I participate in, and considering building a beer engine base on the RV hand pump design on here, doing it sort of a cask ale.

I remember seeing in the past that you were involved in vintage base ball. A friend of mine runs a team in Massachusetts, the Essex Base Ball Club. Ever travel out East for games?

I was watching a game a few weeks ago and I decided to make a beer for the team and this one popped up. Glad it has a good connection to vintage. Planning on making this on Wednesday. Looking forward to it.

I have a whiskey barrel on order. Should pick it up on Tuesday:ban:. I guess I'll have to do a batch of this and chuck it in.

I'm about midway through my keg. This beer is a fantastic summer drinker. As light as many cream ales but with a fantastic rye flavor. I'm loving it.

As for the whiskey barrel idea, I skipped it this time but I think it would do ok with a little oak and whiskey flavor in the mix. I think I'll give it a go before the end of the summer. :mug:

Well the crab fest was this past weekend and the reception for this beer was great. The host was an especially big fan. A smooth summer drinker that goes down almost creamy. Brewing this again soon, and already working on the recipie for a rye focused Chessapeake Common Ale variation.

Cheers, Revvy!

I remember seeing in the past that you were involved in vintage base ball. A friend of mine runs a team in Massachusetts, the Essex Base Ball Club. Ever travel out East for games?

I was watching a game a few weeks ago and I decided to make a beer for the team and this one popped up. Glad it has a good connection to vintage. Planning on making this on Wednesday. Looking forward to it.

Oh, I missed this post. No we haven't travelled outside Michigan to play yet, except into Canada to play a couple teams just across the border into Ontario.

I have to get a batch brewed soon for August.

Have an update on the doubled rye batch yet? Thanks!

Missed the post where you did update. Sorry!

Im checking this out after about 6 wks since bottleing. At first i had some low carbonation,now its right.Used SF05 ginger beer slurry and hopping it more with Galana and im still getting that hop aroma as well as the previous beer slurry flavors/aroma .I also got a higher abv 1.054-1.007 and therefore uped and had to sub crystal 60 and carwheat a bit for a crystal 120 sub. This turned out to be a very fantastic beer this way (which i was trying to avoid subbing anything but it is what i had to work with at the time) still with great aroma and flavor.

Drinking my first pint of this out of my nitro faucet. Really good! Beer gas gives it a bit of creaminess with a nice dry rye finis.. Great beer! Thanks for the research and recipe OP
Cheers
JP

If this were to be entered in a BJCP event, what category would it best be placed in?

Back