Straight Razor Shave!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice video! I have been meaning to get a straight.

I keep backing off before buying one because I don't know which one is worth buying and which one is crap.

Any recommendations?

I have 6 safety razors, but I use my 1959 Fatboy the majority of the time.

Too scared to make the straight razor jump.

I's a straight razor shaver, the Straight Razor Place forums are pretty good place to begin, but there are a lot of razor snobs there that will tell you you have to have a $600 setup to get a decent shave. A guy I have met a few times, Ken Rupp, he does some beginner kits based on the cheapest razors he can find that still hold a good shaving edge. I think his website is rupprazor.com or ruprazor.com. His come post-factory sharpened, which is important as most razors don't come from the factory with great shaving edges.

Props for dragging a razor down you're face. But no props for the pony tail and robe.:)

_

I have 7 DE razors myself, I tend to bounce between my early 30s model Tech and my 1931 Gillette NEW, all the others have quirks that make me go back to the same two razors.

Have you looked into straights? I see some on ebay, but I am afraid of getting a crap razor that wont hold an edge or getting a vintage one that has a chip or crack, best case would be extensive working of the blade to get it shave ready.

No problem, the straight razor place forum people are a pretty good resource, and a lot of them trade vintage razors amongst themselves. You just have to avoid all the rampant shave snobbery. The majority of the straight razors on amazon/eBay are crap. Ken does a good job of giving people a good entry level experience... That and his bay rum smells great.

I think I need to go hit up the local antique mall so I can see the blades in person. Maybe I can score a good one for a fair price.

Very nice! I use my great-grandpa's safety razor from the early 30's and get a great shave. I'd like to get another straight razor to give it a try, I tried a used one off of eBay and it was junk. Can't figure out why anyone would buy into all the crazy commercials for those new fangled razors with ever increasing number of blades, vibration, lotion dispenser and who knows what else.

Thanks all, I have two blades both from 'antique' stores. One was $25, the other was $40, but I'm in Cali and everything is expensive...I use the $40 one, and the other is a back-up which has not been needed in at least three years. These things can last a lifetime if properly cleaned, dried, and oiled with mineral oil after each use.

Look for a blade that is sound, not chipped, cracked etc. Also mine are hollow ground, and the cheaper one of them is stressed, so it is too flexy along the longitudinal axis. Not good!

I've only had to sharpen my good one once on a diamond hone, from then it's just a mater of pulling the blade backwards across a thick bit of leather. There is enough silicon oxide (sand) naturally impregnated into the hide that it works like a ultra fine grit. I don't even own a strop. I'll post a photo of my antique blade soon. I like "working-man" quality stuff. Nothin' fancy.

ps. I sent the link to my 93 year old g-ma, and she loved remembering how when she was a child her father would use a straight razor....It brought her a memory of her dad, priceless!

All the straights I find at the flea markets and antique shops are crap... Not that I want to dive into strops and things yet. I have enough blades at home and work to keep sharp :<

Fionnbharr said:
Honing the blade on the leather...

Is it pronounced /Stroh-ping/, or /Strop-ping/?

Strop-ping is the most common by far, but both are used. In some rural areas the strop would be referred to as a strap and the activity would be strapping the razor. That said, stripping does not hone the blade. Because the edge of the blade is very fine, it will bend and fold over when you shave, stripping stands the edge back up to that it attacks the hair dead on. You can polish up an edge by occasionally dragging it backwards across a strop treated with an abrasive paste or polish.q

I learned how to do this on my own, only reading a bit, so don't quote me on pronunciation, toemAtoe, tomAHHHtoe, stuff. Also that was an impromptu, one take vid, so I got a little confused on the proper terms of sharpening, honeing, strohhhping, etc.

I do believe that my bit of leather has some grit to it naturally in the hide, for I can see it polish oxidation from where it makes contact. It's not even really a strop, just a foot long, two inch wide, piece of 1/4" tanned hide. I put SemiChrome on the rough, back side of the leather, and that brightens up the edge too. Sharpening, honing, stropping, always pulling the blade backwards, laying the thick part of the blade and the edge flat as the bevel guide. I've read that they sharpen to an atom's thickness, and that they have a usage memory, who knows...

When I got the blade, the edge was not usable, and I had to sharpen it on a diamond hone and wet stone. I haven't had to do that for years, and, since I only shave once a week, and my beard is thin, stropping is all that has been necessary.

There's definitely a learning curve to using one, and when I first started it got my adrenaline going. It's second nature now, and I will probably never go back to other, "safer" methods. It's become a personal wellness ritual, a way for me to 'check my game'--fun stuff!

Lastly, nothing I have used to date compares to the accuracy of a straight shave, like trimming goatee, sideburns, etc. Also it doesn't mater what length your beard is, it will cut through a forest if need be and never clog.

(post 800 WOOT!)

I had a straight razor shave from my friend who is a barber, but I dont think i trust myself, especially around the neck/jugular area that early in the morning!

Learning to shave straight razor is a good skill to have when you wear a beard for winter and want to go clean for summer. A nicely stropped blade is key to clear cutting 4-6 months worth of facial forest.

For those of us who have remaining facial hair, I like the products from beardcareproducts.com. The Bay Lime Beard Oil will change your outlook on keeping a man muff.

Can't figure out why anyone would buy into all the crazy commercials for those new fangled razors with ever increasing number of blades, vibration, lotion dispenser and who knows what else.

This. I have a double blade razor that's older than my oldest kid. It's getting harder and harder to find blades for it so every time I see some thread for the DE shaving, I get real curious. Every time, I'll follow the links that everyone posts and get excited. Then I keep reading and start getting overwhelmed with information and start getting confused on where to start. Then I say screw it, and go buy another pack of disposable blades.

One of these days, I'll ask my dad if he has an old DE laying around. Maybe from when grandpa was around...

Very cool vid.

This. I have a double blade razor that's older than my oldest kid. It's getting harder and harder to find blades for it so every time I see some thread for the DE shaving, I get real curious. Every time, I'll follow the links that everyone posts and get excited. Then I keep reading and start getting overwhelmed with information and start getting confused on where to start. Then I say screw it, and go buy another pack of disposable blades.

One of these days, I'll ask my dad if he has an old DE laying around. Maybe from when grandpa was around...

Very cool vid.
Go to Ebay. Find a Gillette Tech. Buy a sample pack of blades, a boar brush from Tweezerman and some Williams Soap from the local drug store. It will get you by wonderfully. After that, upgrade as you like. Everything I posted above you can probably get for less than 30 dollars. There isn't a need for anything fancy- at least until you want there to be a need.

I've got a badger hair brush, soap, and safety razor, but this scares the crap out of me! I still use a mach3 sometimes because I tend to nick myself more with the safety razor. I'm working up to being a real man one of these days. Kudos to you!

Very cool vid.

I agree with the ebay Gillette tech, however I would head to Target and grab yourself a shea moisture brush, it is a badger brush for nine dollars, swing by Bath and Body Works on the way back from Target and pick up a tube of CO Bigelow shave cream for five dollars. as for the lather bowl, I used a ceramic rice bowl before I got my scuttle.

Now for blades, you can start off using walgreens store brand blades made by ASR (Persona blades), walmart also has Wilkenson Sword blades for under 2 dollars but the dull realy fast. if you are into it, then get a couple sample packs and see what blade suits you best.

...or just skip all that sissy stuff, and go for the jugular! J/K
Thanks azscoop, I'll check out those brush and lather recommendations.
I use plain old foamy in a can with a second hand brush. My brushes suck though, always losing bristles in the foam, and on my face, it will actually make the blade skip and... Maybe I'll splurge soon, but I've been getin' by for so long.

I hate shaving like alot of people thats why i used hairclippers without a guard for the longest time,its not close but good enough for this man and cheap.Plus i hate the way my face feels all streachy and naked,dries out just feels weird.Every year i become more shocked how much blades are. Not this guy.

DE blades are .08 a piece depending on brand. ;)
Like Hex said, once he got his straight shave ready it has only needed stropped, thats money savings right there!

I"ll also agree on the CO Bigelow stuff. I'm a huge Proraso user and the CO Bigelow is the same thing. No need to try anything else, its just a waste of money! :)

I know one reason for me to not get a straight is I have two shave dens. One at home and one at the work apartment. It was kind of fun splitting my stuff up but a pain in the ass at the same time. I had to order more soap and no one around here carries it and it was back ordered at a lot of sites. I had to use Amazon to get it and I would much rather have sent money to westcoastshaving or razorblades and more.

Looks like a lot more work, time, etc to me. I would have been done shaving by the time you were done with the shaving creme. But if you guys think it is fun go for it.

I am also bored....normally I wouldn't even comment.

Looks like a lot more work, time, etc to me. I would have been done shaving by the time you were done with the shaving creme. But if you guys think it is fun go for it.

Wet shaving (not necessarily straight razor shaving, but with a double edged safety razor) is also much, much, much more economical. I bought a pack of 100 high quality Shark razor blades for $17 on Amazon (bundled it with something else I needed, so free shipping). That's less than a five pack of Mach 3 blades.

I have a goatee, so I have a little less area to shave, and it takes me no more than five minutes.

I am also bored....normally I wouldn't even comment.

The same could be true about brewing beer, too much work, time etc, you could just buy an 18 pack at the corner store. :D

I look at it this way, I used to hate shaving, to the point that I would shave once a week maybe. since I have a 5 o'clock shadow by 9am, I looked homeless by midweek.

Since switching to wet shaving, I get a MUCH smoother shave, less irritation, and I find the process very relaxing, I take that time to gather my thoughts and prep for the day ahead.

Wet shaving and a straight razor cleared up a patch of bad skin that I had for 10 years. It turned out to be a constant patch of bad razor burn. I partially cheat though. I have to admit that I've started using a shavette (straight razor that uses disposable razor blades) and by far prefer it to my straight. Cheap refills like my double edge, but no irritation. Always sharp (sharper than my straights) and quicker shave time with lower maintenance. It is a lot less forgiving on bad or careless technique though.

...however I would head to Target and grab yourself a shea moisture brush, it is a badger brush for nine dollars, swing by Bath and Body Works on the way back from Target and pick up a tube of CO Bigelow shave cream for five dollars. as for the lather bowl, I used a ceramic rice bowl before I got my scuttle...

I stopped by Bath and Body Works yesterday evening and picked up a big tube CO Bigelow (5.2 oz) $10. It should last me the rest of the year. Nice stuff. It took a bit to work into a lather compared to the foamy in a can that I am accustomed to, but it is worth it. My straight glided effortlessly across my skin both with and against the grain. It left my face cool and clean. Thanks for the recommendation!

As promised earlier, here is my current shave kit:

ShaveStraight.jpg

Glad you like the shave cream suggestion! I wait till it goes on sale and stock up, I have 8 small tubes and 6 large tubes in my stash.

Latest posts

Back