Fermentation: How Long is Too Long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
Second brew. OG was 1.066. An IPA from Midwest. Yeast used - Wyeast Smack Pack no starter. The fermentation took off after 6-8 hours and was pretty vigorous for 24-36 hours. It is now the 6th day and I am still getting a bubble every 30-33 seconds. Maybe I read too much, but I saw that a lengthy fermentation may be caused by introduction of either bacteria or wild yeast to the wort. They begin to ferment the unfermentable sugars.
I haven't taken a hydrometer reading since pitching the yeast last Tuesday. I am planning on racking to a Secondary(Clearing) fermenter on day 7.
When should I begin to worry? and Should I go ahead and rack to the Secondary on day 7?

I've heard of people leaving their beer in primary for 3 months and I personally have just bottled/kegged a beer that was in primary for a month. You could take a reading and get an idea of how close you are to your F.G. and then rack to secondary.

But most important of all: RDWHAHB :mug:

On day 7 take a SG reading. I have a feeling you will be right where you want to be. If so rack to secondary, if not, well, opinions differ here. I would say if it hasn't finished put the top back on and let it go a few more (3) days and check again. Getting a bubble every 30 seconds at day 6 isn't bad.

My Belgian Blonde from Midwest (not suggesting a connection) was my longest primary ever. Easily 12 days before I felt comfortable moving it to a secondary. Even there, it continued to form a slight krausen and the yeast sediment was 1/8" to 1/4" deep.

This 5% brew turned into a 6+%. Very good beer, but definitely not a session ale.

Give it time. Use your hydrometer every couple of days so you can observe the fermentation "velocity". I would hesitate to use your air lock bubbler to determine that.

If it isn't near the TG by day 7, leave it in the fermenter. Racking too soon will just increase the amount of time it will take to finish, because you've taken it off most of the yeast.

If your ale is infected (which I highly doubt), racking it won't un-infect it.

personally, I have left my extract beer in the fermenter for up to 23 days. This beer was actually better than the ones I take out sooner.

Thanks for the replies. Took a reading yesterday and it was 1.016 which was within the range for this IPA. (from 1.012-1.018) Racked to the secondary. Am still getting a bubble every 90 seconds but all smells and looks good.

Back