Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does anyone else see the parallel here?

Bic disposable = BMC
Gillette Mach 3 = Goose Island IPA
DE safety Razor = Homebrew -> Extract w/ steeping grains
Straight = Homebrew -> A.G.

I mean, I'd like to use a straight, and I know it could give a better result, but it seems like a big commitment; more equipment, more time, and potential for disaster.

I am an all grain brewer, but I stick with shaving with extract.

You aren't too far off there.

You can still get a great shave with extract! :D

You aren't too far off there.

You can still get a great shave with extract! :D

I know that, but I always get the feeling the all-grain shavers are quietly looking down on me....with all their fancy equipment....there is no way my wife would let me spend 6 hours shaving every Sunday.

Wait, what are we talking about?

I know that, but I always get the feeling the all-grain shavers are quietly looking down on me....with all their fancy equipment....there is no way my wife would let me spend 6 hours shaving every Sunday.

Wait, what are we talking about?

Just tell her that it would save money.

I have thought about doing this for some time now. After reading here and that badger and blade website about how wet shaving helped guys get rid of razor bumps, I think I am ready to pull the trigger and get some tools.

So far for my razor I am either going to get the Merkur Model 180 or the Edwin Jagger De89bl.

Amazon has the Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush for $43 and a lot of ppl from B&B really like it, so I might just get that instead of a cheaper one.

I think I am really going to enjoy this!

Pappers, I am a DE guy, so far one or two SE shavers have popped up, and there are a couple straights here so far as well. the numbers seem to point to mostly DE shavers so far.

I think a single edge razor gives a better shave, but is less common to find, and the blades are a touch more expensive these days. I went with a DE because I was able to pick up a vintage one on ebay for 11 dollars shipped, and knew I could get blades cheaply enough locally.

Why do some prefer one type of safety razor over the other?

3 things;

- weight
- handle length
- aggressiveness

Weight and handle length are obvious, aggressiveness is a reference to the closness of the shave and to the potential for nicks, burns. It's to do with the angle of the blade, the gap opening, and the amount of extension beyond the bar.

Some DE tools are adjustable regarding aggressiveness, others are not. For the Non-adjustables it comes down to the blade itself.

And finally, I suppose another factor is the blade loading. Lots of designs here but the most common are a 3 peice screw toghether type and a butterfly. The butterfly opens sort of like the bomb bays on a aircraft.

But again, there are other designs too.

Beyond that, it goes into more "kitchy" type things like slant bar (looks like it's been warped), open comb (has teeth to comb the beard), and finish.

Seems like a lot but there is less there to decide on than there is with the soap/cream. That is, in itself, a whole different animal. And there are tons of options.

Thanks, AZ and Gila. Double edged it is, then.

As I said before, I've been using the boar hair brush and shaving mug for my entire adult life. I'm not unhappy with the Mach 3 or whatever it is they're selling us now, don't have trouble with razor burn or closeness. For the past year, I don't even shave half of my face.

But I am tired of the prices I'm paying for it. I'll pick up an old safety razor and some basic blades and give it a go.

But I am tired of the prices I'm paying for it. I'll pick up an old safety razor and some basic blades and give it a go.

DE tools range from a few dollars used to hundreds new. No matter the price, there is a technique to using the razor that you will have to learn before the results will be satisfactory.

Primarily, you will have to re-learn how to hold the razor (no pivot head here) and how to just let the razor glide across your face (the LAST thing you want to do is apply pressure, your head is the potato).

By all means, do give Badger and Blade a look and even watch some of the YouTube videos on DE Wet shaving so you will have an idea of what you are in for and won't be disheartened if you don't get immediate results.

Once you've started it's like buying that new, unique, car. Before the switch you never see it, after it's everywhere. Even the most expensive DE blades are far cheaper than muti-edge refills.

When I'm out in the Chicago suburbs, I will be swinging out to the Volo antique mall, there has to be hundereds of razors there to scoop up at good prices..

When I'm out in the Chicago suburbs, I will be swinging out to the Volo antique mall, there has to be hundereds of razors there to scoop up at good prices..

I know it's without merit, I just can't bring myself to buy a used razor.

Too microbiologically creepy, even though I know the risk is non-existent or that the tools could be sterilized.

Just "feels" like buying a used toilet seat. But, then again, I am the guy who takes Lysol into the office toilet to de-bug the seat and I still use the paper covers.

MRSA is no joke!

I know it's without merit, I just can't bring myself to buy a used razor.

Too microbiologically creepy, even though I know the risk is non-existent or that the tools could be sterilized.

Just "feels" like buying a used toilet seat. But, then again, I am the guy who takes Lysol into the office toilet to de-bug the seat and I still use the paper covers.

MRSA is no joke!

An old friend from grade school just died, he lost a battle with Necrotizing fasciitis, I dont know where he picked it up, but his hygene was never the best.

Since I started wet shaving, I have looked forward to it. It is a very relaxing process for me, lets me focus and go over the coming days events.

I also look forward to getting my haircut now, found a local old school barbor shop that gives a great straight razor shave.

Since I started wet shaving, I have looked forward to it. It is a very relaxing process for me, lets me focus and go over the coming days events.

I also look forward to getting my haircut now, found a local old school barbor shop that gives a great straight razor shave.

Before moving out here, I used to go to a barber like that - old men, sitting around, and a proficiency with a straight razor.

Now, my barber is a woman with amazingly large bosoms. Pros and cons.

DE tools range from a few dollars used to hundreds new. No matter the price, there is a technique to using the razor that you will have to learn before the results will be satisfactory.

Primarily, you will have to re-learn how to hold the razor (no pivot head here) and how to just let the razor glide across your face (the LAST thing you want to do is apply pressure, your head is the potato).

By all means, do give Badger and Blade a look and even watch some of the YouTube videos on DE Wet shaving so you will have an idea of what you are in for and won't be disheartened if you don't get immediate results.

Once you've started it's like buying that new, unique, car. Before the switch you never see it, after it's everywhere. Even the most expensive DE blades are far cheaper than muti-edge refills.

Right, getting the right angle and no pressure. Thanks.

I don't so much look forward to shaving as much as I just haven't dreaded the thought of having to shave. The process is more enjoyable, not so much because of the steps involved, but because there is no concern for major discomfort after the fact.

I shave after shower and before bed.

Before moving out here, I used to go to a barber like that - old men, sitting around, and a proficiency with a straight razor.

Now, my barber is a woman with amazingly large bosoms. Pros and cons.

I tried to find a barber who shaves. None exist around here anymore because of the Health Department restrictions on sanitization. I think theyrequire sterilization by autoclave of any implements with potential of causing bleeding.

I remember going to the barber with my father and watching him get the straight razor out and stropping it on the leather, awesome. I asked a "barber" up here in Wisconsin if they did straight razor on the neck and SHE told me that it's illegal unless you've been grandfathered in. The dumbing down of another profession, guess everyone should just go to Cost Cutters!

I'm sure it's just the newness of the whole thing but for once in my life I actually look forward to shaving.

I do to some extent but just wish it was quicker. I was actually a few minutes late to work today because of shaving. I have been still using the canned junk and mach3 a couple times a week just because I don't have enough time before work. :eek:

I remember going to the barber with my father and watching him get the straight razor out and stropping it on the leather, awesome. I asked a "barber" up here in Wisconsin if they did straight razor on the neck and SHE told me that it's illegal unless you've been grandfathered in. The dumbing down of another profession, guess everyone should just go to Cost Cutters!

My shop is only able to straight the back of the neck. Insurance won't allow them to do full shaves for whatever reason. I have been to a few shops that were like this as well.

I do to some extent but just wish it was quicker. I was actually a few minutes late to work today because of shaving. I have been still using the canned junk and mach3 a couple times a week just because I don't have enough time before work. :eek:

I have taken to shaving at night if I get in early enough, but this is a fairly recent thing for me, I might make it the norm though.

I have taken to shaving at night if I get in early enough, but this is a fairly recent thing for me, I might make it the norm though.

I have considered that but I prefer to shave after a shower and I need to shower in the morning. Plus, I wouldn't have a BBS still by morning.

Yeah, I took to shaving at night just to have more time to do it right. But between a slow-growing, thin beard anyway, and our liberal/hippie office I only shave twice a week. Once on Sunday after a shower, and usually Tuesday night. I get a much closer shave with wet shaving too, so that helps.

I think a single edge razor gives a better shave, but is less common to find, and the blades are a touch more expensive these days. I went with a DE because I was able to pick up a vintage one on ebay for 11 dollars shipped, and knew I could get blades cheaply enough locally.

i think the SE gives a better shave, IMHO, and they are very abundant on ebay, i've gotten both of mine for $5-7, shipped. gem or micromatic are good brands. they are super easy to use, the learning curve isn't as steep, the head tilt is much more intuitive on how you should hold it, they are just about as hefty as DE razors (and a little bigger) and you can find blades at CVS, Walgreens, etc. and if you really want them cheap, you can get them online.

What is the difference (other than one cutting edge as opposed to two) of the SE vs the DE?

sorry, slacked on this thread, see above. the blades should, in theory, last longer also since they are much heftier than the DE blades. i can get a pack of 10 of them at my local grocery store for $3. not as dirt cheap as most DE blades, but, as i've stated, i get a poor shave, especially around the neck, with DE blades and only get one shave out of them.

Shaved with the Merkur HD. They say it's a good beginners tool cause it's not too aggressive. Bah! I have yet to bleed that much.

But the shave is close.

Shaved with the Merkur HD. They say it's a good beginners tool cause it's not too aggressive. Bah! I have yet to bleed that much.

But the shave is close.

Interesting, I started out with the HD (34c) and I've cut myself with it, but no more than any other razor I've used.

Tbh most of the times I've cut myself is down to me doing something incorrect or something stupid.

My Gillette Tech fatboy is amazingly tame, I have been going BBS for 3 days in a row, with the grain, across the grain, against the grain, then finishing with some J-hooking. I had one weeper tonight, very minor and a splash of witch hazel stopped the leaking entirely.

I have been playing with this trick, blending Glycerin soap with a dollop of shave cream, it has been working pretty good so far.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59#p/u/52/8N0C1cLELQo"]http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59#p/u/52/8N0C1cLELQo[/ame]

My Gillette Tech fatboy is amazingly tame, I have been going BBS for 3 days in a row, with the grain, across the grain, against the grain, then finishing with some J-hooking. I had one weeper tonight, very minor and a splash of witch hazel stopped the leaking entirely.

I have been playing with this trick, blending Glycerin soap with a dollop of shave cream, it has been working pretty good so far.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59#p/u/52/8N0C1cLELQo

Yup. Have seen this. Uberlather, it's often coined. Although most I have seen use straight liquid glycerine.

What I haven't seen, until that video, is mention of the use of Olive Oil. Hmm.

Olive oil, I think some experimenting is worth the possible blood-letting on my part.

My thought exactly. Your blood that is. :D

I do have EVOO but won't need a shave for another day or two.

I have also heard of fellows mixing some fragrant oil into their Witch Hazel to step that up a bit.

My thought exactly. Your blood that is. :D

I do have EVOO but won't need a shave for another day or two.

I have also heard of fellows mixing some fragrant oil into their Witch Hazel to step that up a bit.

I'm fine bleeding for the sake of a better shave, I have 1/2 gallon of EVOO, and 2 gallons of run of the mill olive oil, we use it a lot around our kitchen.

I added a few drops of sandalwood essential oil to my witch hazel, my wife loves the smell, and I rather enjoy it myself. I got my sandalwood from my local Sprouts market. I should have enough to last me a few years past death at the current rate. :drunk:

Back