Got all my hops today (well almost)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Somehow, one of the willamette hops did not get ordered, but I got two of the magnum, cascade, and centennial..

But there's still snow on the ground.. put them all in the fridge.. How long will they keep there?

Not sure about refrigerator temps, but in the freezer they will last nearly forever.

EDIT: Woops, I didn't realize you were talking about hop rhizomes, nevermind me...

I wouldn't put them in the freezer. You usually don't plant hops until the nightly frost goes away. I would assume that freezing them is less good than bad.

Moisten them with a bit of water and put them in a ziplock bag in the fridge. That's what most people do.

You're asking about hop rhizomes, not about hops (as in the cone or pellets) right?

Store the rhizomes in the fridge until you're ready to plant. Best bet is to plant them indoors in small pots to get them growing active, then transfer outdoors when the frost is through. <--Advice I received today from Putterbaugh Farms today with my rhizome order.

I've never tried to freeze them but I would imagine they'd die. Sometime in June, I usually find a bunch of leftovers in the back of the fridge that were dug and cut in March. Last year I stuck some Cascade and Centennial in the ground around mid June and they grew fine. One spring, a few years back, I found some that were dug from the previous spring in the fridge. They actually came up but died a couple weeks later. They are survivors. Go with the fridge.

Yeah, ignore my reply with freezing them. I got confused with what you were asking.

Latest posts

Back