is it sour or soured?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
I took 1/2 batch of summer wheat and put in on top of 2lbs of vodka soaked blackberries. I left it there for a little over 3 weeks and bottled. I had an oil slick look about it, but I figured that was because I had left it on the berries so long.The beer tastes fine, but it has quite a sour kick to it. So is it just sour from the berries or soured from an infection?

PS. I've never had a lambic to judge it against.

Blackberries are pretty sour regularly, and once you ferment the sugar out, they can get super mouth puckering. I waaaaaay overdid a raspberry wit earlier this year, it tasted like a freaking blue slush puppy and was the mouth puckering equivalent of a sour patch kid. I had to blend it with another keg just to make it drinkable.

Blackberries are pretty sour regularly, and once you ferment the sugar out, they can get super mouth puckering. I waaaaaay overdid a raspberry wit earlier this year, it tasted like a freaking blue slush puppy and was the mouth puckering equivalent of a sour patch kid. I had to blend it with another keg just to make it drinkable.

Thats not a bad idea, but I have already bottled them. I'll let them age a bit to see how it is in a few more weeks. If it get ridiculous, I will make another 1/2 batch to stir them in with and keg it

Back