anyone brew mike mcdoles pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Tasty APA.html

12g batch:
16lbs 2row
6lbs pilsner
2lbs carapils
1lb wheat
1lb cystal 40
0.50 oz. Chinook Mash H
0.50 oz. Warrior 60 min
0.50 oz. Simcoe 20 min
0.50 oz. Columbus 10 min
0.50 oz. Northern Brewer 10 min
0.50 oz. Centennial 1 min
0.50 oz. Simcoe 1 min
4.00 oz. Cascade 0 min
2.00 oz. Columbus Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Centennial Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Simcoe dry hop

I've brewed it and had it straight from Tasty's kegs a few different times. It's awesome. I think he said it scored a 45.5 in the NHC first round entries this year, though it didn't place, amazingly.

Yep, keep in mind it's 12 gallon batch size above though. It's basically his twist on the Russian River's Pliny The Elder hop bill but scaled down to be a nice and hoppy Pale Ale.

5 oz flame out, 4 oz dry hop? Holy crap!

The 4 oz cascade is in the hopback. I believe he has advised people without a hopback to use 1 oz at flameout. He doesn't think he gets a ton of aroma from the hopback, he uses it for trub removal.

I've never used a hopback so I assume Tasty knows what's up.

Personally I would rather just brew the IIPA and the helles* and blend the two to get this (then you have 3 beers from two brewdays). People love this recipe though.

*That's what this is, a helles and IIPA grainbill mixed in a certain proportion and IIPA hops scaled in the same proportion based on successful blending of the base beers. That is why the grainbill is kinda odd.

+ 1,000,000 probably one of the best beers I've brewed to date. :rockin:

The water was R/O to which was added gypsum, epsom salt, and table salt to bring it to Ca-110ppm, Mg-118ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm.

I wonder if that's a mistake... Maybe he meant 18ppm of Magnesium.

I've brewed it a couple of times it's good stuff I did use something other than norther brewer hops but I can't rember what....Mike's a great guy also !

Pat

Definitely one of my favorite brews as well. Had one batch not attenuate as low as I wanted it to, but still had the carbonation in the ball park of where I wanted it. Scale it down to a 6gal batch and give it a try.

Personally I would rather just brew the IIPA and the helles* and blend the two to get this (then you have 3 beers from two brewdays). People love this recipe though.

*That's what this is, a helles and IIPA grainbill mixed in a certain proportion and IIPA hops scaled in the same proportion based on successful blending of the base beers. That is why the grainbill is kinda odd.

Cool idea but just for the record, quoted from Mike:

"As the hops start to drop off a little in your lower OG beer it will probably come more into balance. The Tasty APA uses a lot of hop additions because it originated as a light version of Pliny The Elder. In fact, it originated as a 25/75 blend of Pliny The Elder and a Dortmunder Export. I then "blended" the recipes together and that's why the beer has so much Pilsner malt. As I often recommend when making the Tasty APA, you may want to come up with a simpler hop bill."

I have this fermenting right now, can't wait to try it.

Back