beer loss to hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etoews

Reaction score
been brewing a few beers that utilized a bunch of hops the latest of which is a sculpin clone (7 or 8 types i think). my issue is that i'm losing a ton of beer to the hops, especially with this brew.

how to fix? do i need to make a bigger batch and just increase ingredients? or is there something different i should be doing differently with the hops.

thank you!

erik

If they are in a hop bag you can squeeze out some of the wort. If they are leaf hops loose you can press them a bit to release wort.

If you're doing partial boils, you can use my "hop sparging" technique. I pour the wort through a large kitchen strainer and each time the strainer is full of hops, I pour some of my top-up water through them, rinsing the wort from the hops. They still absorb some, but I get all I can that way.

thanks guys. more than likely what i think that what i'll end up doing here is doing a partial strain thing + make a bigger batch. i'm a little bummed here looking at my $90 batch of this that's looking short...

You just need more run-off. I do 90 minute boils and for the Pliny clone I need to collect 8 gallons to get 5.25 into the fermenter, and for a Ruination clone I need to collect 7.5. I also have to bump the grain bill up a little.

(And / or you could replace your bittering hops with hop extract.)

Back