Add gelatin or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riromero

Reaction score
I had a bad stuck sparge and ended up separating the wort from the grains with a strainer. As a result I have the the cloudiest finished beer that I've ever experienced. The taste, however, is mighty fine. Now with three days before I bottle, I'm wondering if I should put a tablespoon of gelatin (appropriately dissolved) into the secondary and crank down the temperature to try and clear it up. Will this adversely affect the taste?

No effect on taste. I would do it, but then I do it to everything. I always wait a week after I add it though. I once watched it closely and I could see the line of clarification move down the beer... took a week.

Make sure you mix the gelatin into warm, NOT BOILING, water. Boil the water first, to ensure sterility.

I would just drop the temp. and give it a little more time.
If it doesn't clear up after that then add finings, but in my experiences nothing works better than cold temps. and time.

Gelatin is more of a yeast fining since the primary component is collagen (like isinglass). The best fining for chill haze is Polyclar as it removes polyphenols (chill haze) without affecting foam stability.

Back