Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Tearjerker double Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akaryrye

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-05
Yeast Starter
yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
dry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
?
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 65*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
na
Tasting Notes
na
Based on Denny Coons Rye IPA with a few modifications. I named it tearjerker because I almost cried when my kettle stopped draining from the hops clogging the strainer on the drain tube. I ended up using a sanitized kitchen strainer and scooping out a bunch of hops until I could get it to move again. 3 hours from kettle to fermenter lol :) Since this, I have started using a large nylon mesh during the brew to strain the hops out and haven't had a problem since. Now It makes me cry when I taste it because it is so good.

Grain Bill:
25lbs American 2row
5lbs malted rye
1lb flaked wheat
1lb carapils
1lb crystal 20
1lb crystal 60

Hops (whole):
2oz Chinook (12.1) 60min
2oz Willamette (6.4) 60min
3oz Willamette (6.4) 30min
3oz Willamette (6.4) 0min
4oz Willamette (6.4) dry hop

Mash:
Single Infusion / batch sparge
150* Mash (44qts)
165* Sparge

This Beer turned out really great. At first, half the batch was sour, and the other half was great but after a few months of aging, the sourness went away and the sour batch turned into amazingly great beer. I am DEFINITELY going to brew this beer again.

Sampled it after two weeks in the primary ... Straight rocket fuel. Will be bottling next week and letting it sit for another 3 weeks minimum.

tried a 12 oz bottle yesterday ... this stuff is delicious. Would not hesitate to do it again but next time might mash a couple of degrees lower to dry it out a bit more ... although it came out fairly dry as it was. Final Gravity was like 1.011 so this beer is like 8.6% ABV but it is well hidden.

Here it is in the glass ... I just had to have another one. This is like the best IPA I have had in a long time. The rye and other malts come through nicely, but not so much that the hops don't make their presence. I would love to try this again with a different hop. Oh, the high alcohol flavors have mellowed out almost completely

RyeIPA.jpg

This beer was amazing ... what didnt get infected (Lacto) at least. The second 5 gal fermenter got contaminated, I think, when I had to scoop hops out of a stuck kettle. I have 3 good 12oz bottles left and about 20 22oz'rs of sour IPA that I am about to dump. I will be brewing this again in the future.

After 3 months, the good batch is long gone, but I still have plenty of the sour bottles hanging around. I put a number in the fridge and set the rest aside. I finally opened one of the soured beers that I left at room temperature today, and the sourness has gone away for the most part. It actually amazes me. It does not really taste like an IPA now ... it still has a strange flavor, but it is rather pleasant now.

So I brewed this bad boy on 4/5 of whatever year it is. My system's efficiency sucks so my og was 1.07 but she went down to 1.01 so it ended up at 7.9%, not bad. I dry hopped it after primary but this was so sugary and boozy in the beginning I didn't dare jump into it. I let it sit, tasting it for about two months before I deemed it drinkable. It was still I big beer! It made me think strong ale. A lot of bitter going on. Drank real solid though. That was my first half of the 9 gal batch(not quite the 11, I know). I'm just now getting into the second 4 gallons five months later. The second half has had time to hang out with it's self so it's cleaner then the first half. I dry hopped it with citra before putting it on. Holly bastards, I have a pint next to me right now and it's the ****!! Orange on the nose, everything comes together so well. The rye definitely gives it that extra toughness you look for in the style. Like a lot of good homebrew it took a bit to get to that happy place but sweet mama, worth the wait!

Back