filter housing leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
i've been using a standard water filter canister housing (morebeer item FIL32A) and had no problems for 5 or so brew sessions. yesterday when i went to fill my HLT the canister was leaking uncontrollably where the bottom and top piece meet. nothing seems to be chipped and the leak is even all around. i pulled it apart and screwed it back in several times to make sure the threading was correct, and it looks to be sealed as much as ever. i checked the filter itself and everything seems to be in place, including the rubber gaskets.

anyone ever have a similar problem? any solutions?

LOL, this happened to me too a few weeks ago. Apparently when I took apart the filter to dry, the big O-ring that goes between the filter housing and the top had fallen off. I looked around on the floor where I store the filter and found the O-ring. Reinstalled, and problem solved!

TwoHeads has it right. This happened to me once before and then I noticed the O ring sitting there. Without the O ring it is going to leak like crazy

that's really funny because i never notice the o-ring before, and i found one nearby that day and was trying to figure out what it was for.

thanks.

Back