American IPA Fresh Squeezed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone drop the cara-pils in this recipe. Seems like a lot of crystal (for my tastes anyway) already. I usually like my IPAs no higher than 1lb of crystal.

14.5# American Two Row
1.3# Cara-Pils
1.3# Crystal 40
.50# Munich

Mash for 60 minutes at 152. 90 minute boil.

Hop Additions:

90 Min- .50 oz Chinook (11.5% AA)
.50 oz Simcoe (12% AA)

60 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

30 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

15 Min- .75 Simcoe
.75 Chinook
.50 Amarillo (11.5%)

10 Min- 1 oz. Cascade (5.8%)

O Min- .50 Chinook
.75 Simcoe

Dry Hop- 2 oz. Amarillo
1.5 oz. Cascade
.5 oz Chinook

1 oz. of American Medium Toast Oak Cubes is added at the same time you pitch your yeast. I did this the first time as an experiment and man I think it makes a contribution in smoothness and just enough of a hint in the taste.

I did it the second time and got the same great results again. I only let it sit on the oak for 14-17 days until I'm ready to package the beer. Dry hops were all added to the primary after 7 days or obvious fermentation had settled down.

This recipe is based on the Green flash West Coast IPA on the Brewing Network "Can you Brew It" show. I changed around the hop schedule and made some additions and I can't get enough of this beer.

I've brewed it twice now and it is extremely drinkable. I brew a lot of IPA's but this is by far my favorite. The aroma is SO orange and citrusy. That's why I'm being a dork and calling it fresh squeezed.

If you give this one a try, you won't be disappointed.

Just placed my order with my LHBS, will let you know the results :)

Looks like the IBU's are very high , so it actually might not matter.

Look at the number 1 IPA in the country - Pliny the elder by Russian Brewing. (200 calculated, 100 real IBUs)

Vinnie (Russian Brewing) says don't use more than 5% Crystal in an IPA (well, maybe it was an IIPA) It's a mantra I live by.....

Just kegged this badboy on wednesday and tried it out. It's by far one of the best I've brewed and I could sip on this all day. Mine got slightly higher OG than yours but everything else worked our great!

Soooo... I'm going to be the devils advocate here.. Brewed this beer about a month ago.. Followed original posters recipe very closely.. Did it via BIAB methods with beersmith, and had all of my numbers very close to spot on.. It's a good beer, and I'll enjoy drinking all of it.. However I don't know if it's THAT great?? I brewed a clone of Stone "Enjoy By" a month earlier, and found it to be much more aromatic, as well as have a more pronounced hop bitterness.. It's a good IPA.. But I think there are better!

(flame suit on)

Has anyone done a split batch with and without the oak cubes? I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to order them seeing as how I have everything else in stock. Thanks!

Has anyone done a split batch with and without the oak cubes? I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to order them seeing as how I have everything else in stock. Thanks!

Still wondering if anyone has tried this both ways.... :goat:

I have not done a side-by-side oaked vs non-oaked. However I HAVE made 10 gallons at once with half being left on the oak for 4 months (traveled a lot and the first keg lasted way longer than planned). That batch was thrown out because the oak was too much.

If added for ~2 weeks, the flavor will not be enough to shine through the hops, but will contribute a subtle complexity that could easily be overlooked if you were not searching for it. I'd say if you are worried about it or simply don't want to buy or mess with the oak, make a batch without it. It will be good. Then, if you want to try out the oak in a subsequent batch you've got a solid baseline.

Hi, I was hoping you might share some more recipe details? Like, how much water you started with. Mash out temp? Anything else that might help I'd like to try this recipe out.
Thank you!

Brewed something very close to this yesterday, but replacing Amarillo hops for Equinox hops. ( Because I've just been looking forward to using them )

Also I went without the Oak chips because it scared me, I'm frightened easily. (Ruined a Porter with Oak chips earlier this year)

Thanks for the recipe OP, I'll reply back with a pic in about 5 weeks!

This swap sounds interesting. Was listening to a talk at the recent NHC. Long and short was that Amarillo is a bit harsh as a bittering hop. When i made this beer i found it to be a bit harsh in the bittering. I would be interested to hear how this turns out

Kegged 2.5 gallons of this yesterday. Holy moly you weren't kidding about the aroma. Citrus explosion! Can't wait to unveil it at our party in a few weeks.

This beer was a huge hit at my party this past weekend. I only made 2.5 gallons but it was gone in about two hours. People loved it!

Brewed this for the second time last weekend, it's the first beer that my wife absolutely loved. I didn't add any coriander either time as I don't like the flavor, and this time I put the orange peel in a hop bag so my pump would not clog up. The smell coming from my fermentor smells like orange juice.

I brewed this a few weeks ago and it is dry hopping now. Smells AWESOME!! I hit all my numbers and ended up with about an 8% ABV, so it attenuated pretty well. Can't wait to get this into the keg :)

This swap sounds interesting. Was listening to a talk at the recent NHC. Long and short was that Amarillo is a bit harsh as a bittering hop. When i made this beer i found it to be a bit harsh in the bittering. I would be interested to hear how this turns out

Chalk that up to a learning experience because it is a bit harsh, and adding the guava to the secondary didn't give me the taste or the aroma I was looking for. So I kinda went 0/2 in trying to replicate The Freedom of '78, but I learned something.

My recent trip to Shorts Brewing ( 1st Time, I was super excited ) I met a guy that worked there said they used Citra, and Cascade. But i'm not sure how far I can take his word.

1.060 after boil...little low, did bIAB, started with 9.4 gallons, got down to 5.5 in fermenter

Wondering how many people think this is a recipe for the Deschutes beer...

Do you guys think I could replace Simcoe and Amarillo with others hops.

I have theses available:
Saaz, Willamette, Chinook

Thanks

So I've made my first beer this weekend. I used a starter kit so I really didn't have to do much. As a second step, I've been searching beer recipes and really want to try this one out. Since it's my first time buying the ingredients and converting the sizes I've got some questions.

1) What IU is this recipe in? Imperial or US?

2) If I'm not mistaken, this is the grain mixture which is weighed in oz right?

14.5# American Two Row
1.3# Cara-Pils
1.3# Crystal 40
.50# Munich

3) Rehydrated yeast can be any?

4) Is it very hard to boil the wort in diferent pans and put it all together? I'm thinking about making a bigger batch and but I can't afford to get a big pan at the moment.

I really enjoyed making beer this weekend, can't wait to try new recipes :)

So I've made my first beer this weekend. I used a starter kit so I really didn't have to do much. As a second step, I've been searching beer recipes and really want to try this one out. Since it's my first time buying the ingredients and converting the sizes I've got some questions.

1) What IU is this recipe in? Imperial or US?

2) If I'm not mistaken, this is the grain mixture which is weighed in oz right?

14.5# American Two Row
1.3# Cara-Pils
1.3# Crystal 40
.50# Munich

3) Rehydrated yeast can be any?

4) Is it very hard to boil the wort in diferent pans and put it all together? I'm thinking about making a bigger batch and but I can't afford to get a big pan at the moment.

I really enjoyed making beer this weekend, can't wait to try new recipes :)

This may be a little too difficult for your first time doing all grain brewing. And it sounds like you haven't acquired the equipment you need, such as a mash tun and boil kettle. No, you can't boil the wort in different kettles.

I don't know what your reference to IU is. IBU is a measure of bitterness, resulting from the specific hop additions in the recipe.

The grain bill is measured in pounds, not ounces.

This may be a little too difficult for your first time doing all grain brewing. And it sounds like you haven't acquired the equipment you need, such as a mash tun and boil kettle. No, you can't boil the wort in different kettles.

I don't know what your reference to IU is. IBU is a measure of bitterness, resulting from the specific hop additions in the recipe.

The grain bill is measured in pounds, not ounces.
What I meant in IU is if the measurments were in imperial gallons or us gallons. I thought IU was the abreviation of international units.

I don't have either of those equipaments. I have the equipment necessary for fermentating and the equipment to brew. So what you are saying is that I can't make this recipe?

What I meant in IU is if the measurments were in imperial gallons or us gallons. I thought IU was the abreviation of international units.

I went to the Dr the other day. He had a paper for meds... All I could think of was IBU, not IU.:)

So I kinda winged a partial extract recipe while at the LHBS after reading the OP on the way (wife drove, nice!) Ended up huge at 1.080 OG today, here's what I changed up;

10# CBW Golden Light LME (3x 3.33# tubs)
1#6oz Carapils (just the way the scoop measured out)
1# Crystal 40
10oz Cara-Munich (to bring my partial grain bill to 3lbs even. Learned after the fact that Cara-Munich =/= Munich. Oops :smack:)

Going to throw 2 packets of SAFALE-05 in it now and see what happens. The house has been staying in the 62-68 range so should be fine sitting there. Will dry hop after fermentation settles. Looking forward to this one very much.

I followed the original recipe about a month ago. Temperature came in perfect. OG a slight bit higher and finished nicely at FG. Next weekend we celebrate my birthday with a beer and BBQ party. This is the showcase beer. I have had a few "samples" and it is easily my favorite beer I have brewed over my 2 years brewing. Once the SWMBO slayer gets out of the fermentation chamber I intend to brew another batch but doubling to 10 gallons. I love this beer!

I found another Fresh Squeezed clone recipe on AHA but instead of using Chinook/Simcoe/Amarillo hop combo used in this recipe, the AHA recipe uses a Mosaic/Citra combo. For those that have tried the real thing &/or brewed this clone, what are your thoughts on the Chinook/Simcoe/Amarillo combo verses the Mosaic/Citra combo??

I found another Fresh Squeezed clone recipe on AHA but instead of using Chinook/Simcoe/Amarillo hop combo used in this recipe, the AHA recipe uses a Mosaic/Citra combo. For those that have tried the real thing &/or brewed this clone, what are your thoughts on the Chinook/Simcoe/Amarillo combo verses the Mosaic/Citra combo??

*whoosh*

This is one of my top 2 favorites. The other is a coconut IPA. Soon I need to do a double batch day so I can have them both at the same time.

Read the last couple of sentences in the first post, this is not a Deschuttes Fresh Squeezed clone recipe.

THIS is though, on my list to brew...

Maybe I phrased the question wrong?? I'm not knocking this recipe. Nor was I trying to say it's not an exact clone as that doesn't matter to me. Was just looking for was some comments on the two different hop combos.

No worries, I was only trying to point out that this recipe was never designed or intended to be a Deschuttes Fresh Squeezed clone. I think that is missed at first by many people, including myself. The OP even said he was being a "dork" when he named the thread, but to him the name is still an accurate reflection of the beer he created. Unfortunately it is the same name as a popular commercial beer that people would like to duplicate and assume this is a recipe for it.

Of course there are many paths up the mountain, but in this case you would not be comparing hop combos from two different "clone" recipes like you thought, but two different beer recipes altogether.

By all accounts this is a fine beer :rockin:

I can confirm that this is a worthy IPA recipe... The only thing I changed is a late 5 minute addition of citra just because I love that hop and the results are off the charts good.

I can confirm that this is a worthy IPA recipe... The only thing I changed is a late 5 minute addition of citra just because I love that hop and the results are off the charts good.

Interesting! I checked gravity today at 1 week and it was at 1.015, so I decided to throw in the dry hop addition. Since I had it I went with a 1oz addition of Citra instead of the 1.5oz of Chinook it calls for. Love the citra smell, hoping for great results. This is gonna be a Yuuge beer, 8.5% ABV and 10 oz of hops good golly!

Edit: transferred to keg today after 8 days hoping, wow it finished out at 1.012, 85% attenuation. Looks great smells great can't wait to try it in a couple days

Last edited:
Back