fermentation stopped @ 28 hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbleGutz

Reaction score
Hey everybody new to the site and homebrew.Yesterday morning I started my first try at brewing.I tried a power house porter from midwest with dry yeast.I put the lid and airlock on at 1200.4 or 5 hours later it was bubbling like a jack hammer out of the airlock.I checked in the morning and it was still doing the same.Came home from work today and it has stopped bubbling.Did I not areate enough,was it bad yeast.My original gravity was 1.060 at 80 degrees.
Thanks for any input.

Watch your temperature when you pitch your yeast. Too hot and you will get a fast fermentation and maybe some off flavors. Use your hydrometer to check the progress.

It's probably done with it main fermentation. Now the yeast is busy cleaning up after the big party. Leave it for a couple weeks and the yeast will clean up it's waste and clear your beer up very nicely.

Patience is the hardest part of learning to brew but it's worth it. And before you ask, yes you can take an hydrometer reading after a week if you need to do something.

Welcome to HBT! Stay and visit while you wait for your first brew to finish. Oh yeah, start planning batch two now to keep you busy.

I'm only on batch #2 (in the secondary fermenter) and planning batch #3 --- so I'm still sorting on the **** and the shinola. However my first batch actually came out pretty good.

The brew shop I go to has a pretty simple process and some good theory. One area on Primary fermentation is basically don't worry about the time (assuming you are holding temp around 70 degrees). Every recipe is a different mix (and different yeasts too) -- some will ferment in 24hrs other several days. This guys rule of thumb is once the time between bubbles goes beyond 90sec (for an Ale) its time to rack to the secondary. My first batch went to the secondary in 36hrs --- second batch in 48hrs.

Might be time to rack

This guys rule of thumb is once the time between bubbles goes beyond 90sec (for an Ale) its time to rack to the secondary. My first batch went to the secondary in 36hrs --- second batch in 48hrs.

Might be time to rack

I'm still a beginner too... but that doesn't quite seem right to me... from what I've read on here anyway...

You really are better waiting 7- 10 before you take your gravity reading to determine how the ferment went. I wouldn't go by airlock activity. You just have to have the patience and it is difficult when you are just starting.

I'm still a beginner too... but that doesn't quite seem right to me... from what I've read on here anyway...

Yeah - beats me too :drunk: I've got 3 books from current and classic authors and beyond the basics none of them agree on process(es) - shaking - pouring back and forth - don't touch it - wait 1 week - wait 2 weeks - watch the bubbles - 68 deg - 70 deg ........

Hell --- there is a whole sticky thread on weather to even use a secondary fermentation .... This looks to be a flexible process from those who keep it simple to the total OCD cases.

I'm starting at batch 1 and moving forward one brew at a time with the following in mind:

- Keep every thing CLEAN
- work on a process
- take a lot of notes ... read and talk ... alter process ?
- be patient

Agree with above. Fermentation is not complete. Leave it for at least 2 weeks, if not three. Let the yeast finish up and your beer will be better.

Start planning your next brew and go buy some micros to hold you over. Be patient!

Your feremntation didn't stop, all that happened is the need to VENT EXCESS CO2 VIA THE AIRLOCK RELEASE VALVE decreased. The airlock is NOT a Fermentation Gauge, it is a cheap piece of chinese plastic, used to keep the bucket from blowing, and should be viewed as nothing more.

If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

Over half of my beers have had no airlock activity...

Read this...

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Relying on the airlock is one of those bad brewing practices I wish we could excise from all the brewing books...it may have been a good gauge back 20 or more years ago when (When Charlie P wrote the bible of brewing, and bleach was the main sanitizer) and the main airlock used was the infallible S type, and especially those made of glass that sat heavily on the grommet or carboy bung and made a tight seal..but the cheap ass plastic ones, especially the 3 piecers are NOT reliable for that sort of thing...If the CO2 out gassing is not that strong, it's NOT gonna lift the middle bubbler, but that doesn't NECESSARILY mean the fermentation isn't happening, the yeasties could be just as busy as bees and for whatever reason the CO2 is just sitting on the surface, or sneaking out elsewhere.

The yeasties still have a lot of work to do...just leave it alone for a couple more weeks and all will be well. If you are really nervous after 10 days take a hydro reading...

:mug:

Back