Mashing IPA right now, Hops suggestions needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
I'm mashing what will become an IPA right now. 12 lbs 2 row, 1 pound munich 20, 1/2 lb carapils, 1/2 lb crystal 60.

Heres my hop inventory:
2 oz chinook (16%)
3 oz amarillo (9.5%)
1 oz perle (8.2%)

I want a nice, hoppy IPA, strong on both bitterness and aroma, somewhere in the range of 60-70 IBU's. Dry hopping is an option but not a necessity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have some ideas going but would like some extra input.

Well you deffinately want to boil the chinooks. I'd go with 1.5-2 ozs, but I'm a straight-up hop addict. I do like Perle for you first aroma additions, maybe .5 oz at 20 min, and .5 oz more at 10 min. Then Amarillo at flameout, maybe an oz. to take advantage of their non-"C" hop citrisyness.

That's what I'd do.

Oh, and , make sure your grain bill can handle it.

Man, Im fixing to start brewing an IPA right now too. Totally have no idea what yet. Im thinking of doing a Stone IPA clone with Magnum and Cascade.

I recently made the second batch of my Amarillo Wheat. which has only Amarillo. Amarillo does well alone. But for a hoppy IPA I would bitter with Chinook, then flavor and aroma with the Am and/or Perle. The only time ive used Perle was in a Dead Guy Clone, not really for an IPA, in my opinion.

I'd better get to mashing! Good luck.

Those Chinook's are plenty packed with bitterness so I'd use 1 oz. of those for 60 min. I'd then use Amarillo's (Amarillo hops are perfect for IPA's) for a 20 min. flavor addition, a 5 min. aroma addition, and dry hopping in secondary. This should put you right around 70 IBU's I believe.

Thats what I was thinking, HOOTER.

Here's what I think I'm gonna do. Someone let me know what you think.

1 oz Chinook @ 60
.75 oz Amarillo @ 20
.75 oz Amarillo @ 5
.75 oz Amarillo @ Flameout
.75 oz Amarillo Dry Hop For 2 weeks.

The "usual" thing to do would be to use the Chinook for bitterness only however I like Chinook and would use half of it as a late hop or dry hop addition.
Amarillo should work nicely with the Chinook and can round out the bitterness and flavor desired.
I think an IPA really benefits from a dry hop so make sure you have at least an oz for that.
I don't have any experience with Perle but it sounds more like a German type hop and may not play as well with the other two flavors.

Craig

I did a kit IPA with 2 oz of chinook for bittering and 1 oz for aroma. It was the brewers best. An IPA is suposed to have more hop bitterness so 1 oz is not enough if you want it to be close to style. Honestly, I am not set on styles so go ahead with 1.

Back