Coffee stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny5000

Reaction score
Everyone seems to have a different opinion on when/how to add the coffee to the stout, but I've decided to go with a cold extraction according to the following steps:

1. Coarsely grind 1/2 lb of coffee beans.
2. Put grounds and 24 oz. water into a sanitized container.
3. Allow it to sit for 24 hours.
4. Run the mixture through a coffee filter or fine strainer.

and then it gave step 5:
5. Add the filtered coffee liquid to secondary.

Since coffee doesn't really have much in the way of fermentables, and I'll only be adding liquid, can I just add the coffee immediately before bottling and completely skip a secondary? I'm not really seeing a reason for it, unless I'm missing something.

I just made a sweet coffee chocolate porter and I used 2oz of dark coffee beans for 1 day and the flavor was much stronger than I expected, be careful wig grinding I suppose you will get a even stronger coffee profile than I got. Good luck

The brewing network interviewed DuClaw brewing in Maryland and for their coffee porter they put coffee grinds in the mash.

If you are going with the method you mentioned then yes just skip the secondary. Transfer to your bottling bucket and then add a little of the extracted coffee, swirl a little bit, take a taste, then decide if it is enough flavor or if you want more. Always start small though, because you can't take it out once you put it in (that's what she said).

Thanks for the advice everyone- I'm going to attempt bottling this weekend. I might just make all 24 oz, add it about 2 oz at a time, and drink what I don't use.

I always do a coarse grind (like you do if you use a french press) because this way you get the good coffee taste, not the bitter coffee taste. The more you grind the more bitter the coffee. Then, I will boil water, get it down to 170, and add it to the french press with the beans. Let it sit in the fridge for two days and then add it to the keg/bottles as needed. I have never had an infection problem this way but if you are skeptical you could grind the beans, add it to a little vodka, and then put it in the french press. This is a great time to play with flavored coffee as well. Try a vanilla, amaretto, or hazelnut flavored coffee for some added character.

I would still do a secondary after adding the coffee. Anyone who is a coffee drinker will tell you that if you let coffee sit for a little you will get sediment. Do a secondary for a couple days minimum. Cheers 17

Back