Keg won't hold pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So I have a keg I have used 1-2 times now (it was used when I bought from morebeer). Each time I use it I lube it up and it has been working fine. I just emptied the last pour out of it Wednesday and the same day I cleaned it, relubed and then filled with another batch of beer that was finished.
Well I can't get it to hold pressure no matter what I do. I have taken the top off relubed it a few times, tried to resituate it around so it seals better. I have pumped up the c02 to 30+ to see if it will force seal it that way and still no go.
I do have another keg and some o-rings coming in the mail but they won't be here for a couple days.
Will all this up and down c02 pressure have any adverse effects on my beer in the keg?
Any other suggestions on what could be the problem? It was fine before now it just isn't...

Thanks everyone!

Gotta be the seals unless there was some catastrophic damage to the keg itself...that's my guess

It shouldn't be a problem on the beer. You're not getting it under any real pressure so that's not a problem and as long as you purge the head space of O2 with CO2 then you're good.

I can't tell because it is leaking REALLY slowly! I don't see any bubbles coming from anywhere!! That is another thing that is pissing me off!!

I have put CIP-Film lube on it already... it hasn't helped so far. How much lube do you want to put on it btw? I put a decent amount all over the o-ring. Still leaking...

Yes. A few times. I don't see anything that looks like it is bubbling though. Problem is it is leaking soo slowly that it is hard to tell if it's just a bubble from the liquid or a bubble from leaking. It really isn't bubbling at all that I can tell. I just see bubbles that are from the soapy water or starsan water

Over a few hours... maybe half the day? Is it just absorbing into the beer and not leaking out? Shouldn't the keg remain at a certain amount of C02 in it... and unless you are pouring some off or use the release valve there should remain the same pressure and not allow any more C02 in? or is that only after it is carbed up to a certain point?

Ok, well I'll keep it on gas and see if the meter starts going down over a few hours or so...

Matteo57 said:

CO2 absorbs faster cold!! I would leave the gas on at 12-14 psi for 2 weeks for a properly carbonated keg.. 48-72hrs at 30psi for bursting carbonation but since you have been hooking up a couple times at different pressures I would do 12-14 for a week and check it!!

Back