Us05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
I've had a pale ale in primary for 3 weeks now, pitched 05 at roughly 68F, held ferm temps at 64F pretty consistently maybe dropped as low as 62F. Question is anyone notice more of a sweet almost peach like flavor being thrown at low temps for 05?

My og started at 1.064 and i've been stable at 1.012 for a week now so no problem with yeast att. samples taste very good, just a slight fruity peachy flavor.

I've done an uber pale ale before to test some home roasted grains, basically it was somethign like 4 pounds of 2-row + 1 pound of toasted 2-row (toasted for various lengths of time) in a 2.5 gallon batch. We're talking extremely pale session beers here, and DEFINITELY there was a distinctive peach/pear flavor in the beers. It was good, but a surpise. I found that it's hidden in most beers with more roasted malts, but in the lightest, palest of beers it is there.

so let's say i want to make it again, same temps and yeast etc. just use some more roasted malts as opposed to just 2 row, caramel.

Yep, I've gotten peach out of US-05. It happened when I bottle conditioned in my laundry room, right next to the dryer.

I'd recommend in the future pitching more packets, rehydrating, etc. etc. Your temps are probably fine, you're probably just stressing the yeast a bit at that low.

Now, my brother manages to get bananas and fusel alcohols out of US-05 by fermenting in the mid 80s. Yikes! I've suggested he switch to Belgians until it cools down some in his garage.

I did an American extra pale ale as well, thing was all six row, hopped like hell, fermented at a cool 59 degrees, and I was disgusted by the citrusy, grapefruity, it has been a while but I would venture to say peach in there as well.

All in all I hated it. Others liked it, but I dumped the keg to make room for something I liked.

I did an American extra pale ale as well, thing was all six row, hopped like hell, fermented at a cool 59 degrees, and I was disgusted by the citrusy, grapefruity, it has been a while but I would venture to say peach in there as well.

All in all I hated it. Others liked it, but I dumped the keg to make room for something I liked.

Sounds awesome.

what kind of hops did you use?

sounds like a great AXPA to me

I'll let you know in a few weeks. I will use the 05 on an American Amber this Saturday.

Back