First brew on new system!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
I have brewed a few extract 5 gallon batches but I FINALLY got all my stuff together for 10 gallon All Grain No Chill. So 3 new things!

Today is my first brew on it and im doing a recipe from the LHBS Outback Amber Ale (fitting for no chill i think). With my mash I THINK I hit about 70% efficiency but I was planning on doing 12 gallons pre boil and even though I thought I planned ahead with 13 gallons of water I got just over 10 gallons.

Pre boil my gravity was only about 2 points lower than what my OG (post boil) should be, is that normal? I'm not worried about it all it being my first attempt and beer has been made for a few thousand years so its a versitile craft and i dont think I fudged anything up horribly.

More importantly, what was your pre boil supposed to be based on your efficiency?

My numbers on a ten gallon batch, although that should be relative to any boil size, are for instance 1.047 to 1.054... 2 points lower is a little general. 2 hundredths or 2 thousandths?

Ah, my post boil is supposed to be 1.051 and my pre boil was at 1.049. I haven't had a chance to check it yet because the wort is still in my cubes, when I transfer to my fermenters later tonight I will take a reading. but you're saying I should expect quite a few points? AG is so much fun...

I just took a reading and pitched the yeast. My OG was at 1.050. I was planning on taking a hydro reading from both cubes but it slipped my mind. One of my cubes has a thicker layer of trub so they are already 2 different entities and I can imagine the gravities are different. My only concern is that one has more yeast food in it and I don't have a blow off hose heh.

Back