PID Wiring Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

63centbandit

Reaction score
I got this controller for free but have not been able to get it working. http://www.rittal.de/downloads/Bedienungsanleitungen/3114100/3114100_a.pdf

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on what I might be doing wrong.

The unit powers on and I have 110 going to it and it is reading the correct temperature. I have a hot and neutral coming off it on K1 and am not getting any juice. I can hear it click and there is an led indicator light that comes on K1 in the top corner. :confused:

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

K1 is a switch. it will connect pins 21 and 24 together. there is nothing inside of the controller that will drive electricity out on those pins.

The correct way to wire it would be to connect a live electrical line to pin 21, and then connect your device's hot line to pin 24.

when the relay clicks, the hot line you connected to 21 will flow out on pin 24 and power up your device.

Thank you so much Walker for the help. The original instructions were in German so I was lucky to find the documentation I did. Is this a pretty common setup with most controllers like Love controllers with them acting as a switch?

I don't know anything about love controllers at all, but I can read German and electrical diagrams pretty well. Are Love controllers actual PID devices? I thought they were a little different than a PID.

Anyway... the diagram on page 2 shows that K1 is a normally open (NO) relay. When the trigger event happens, the relay will close and make contact between those two pins.

K2 is a dual position relay. Pins 12 and 11 are normally closed (NC), meaning they are connected together by default. When the trigger event happens, this relay will open up and break the connection between pins 11 and 12. Simultaneously, as pins 11 and 12 disconnect, pins 11 and 14 will become connected. Pins 11 and 14 form another NO relay.

An electrical engineer that can read German and homebrews and is who is cool enough to help a newb, what are the chances? You are the man Walker. Now I can have cold keg homebrew this weekend from my new keezer. A Belgium IPA we call 63 Cent Bandit. The first toast will be for you my man.

Back